Gestanzter Ziegelstein von Borsippa

Gestanzter Ziegelstein von Borsippa


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Borsippa, Mesopotamien, Juli 2013! Teil I

Borsippa war eine wichtige antike Stadt von Sumer, die auf beiden Seiten eines Sees etwa 17,7 km südwestlich von Babylon am Ostufer des Euphrat erbaut wurde. Die Stätte von Borsippa liegt in der Provinz Babylon im Irak und heißt jetzt Birs Nimrud, die Araber identifizieren die Stätte mit Nimrod. Die Zikkurat, der “Zungenturm”, heute eine der am deutlichsten identifizierbaren überlebenden Zikkuraten, wird in der späteren talmudischen und arabischen Kultur mit dem Turm von Babel identifiziert, obwohl die sumero-akkadischen Erbauer der Zikkurat ihn in Wirklichkeit errichteten als religiöses Gebäude zu Ehren des lokalen Gottes Nabu, genannt der “Sohn” von Babylons Marduk, wie es für Babylons kleinere Schwesterstadt angemessen wäre.

بورسيبا (بالسومرية تسمى باد-سي-ا-اب-با وباكدية تسمى برسيب أو تل برسيب) وتسمى حاليا ببرس نمرود، هي مدينة سومرية مهمة قديمة، تم على جانبي بحيرة تبعد حوالي 17 كلم جنوب مدينة بابل، موقع بورسيبا هو في محافظة بابل (محافظة) العراق، وكانت بورسيبا على موجودة لحد وحسب التلمود يعتقد هذه الزقورة هي برج بابل الموجود في . بأن هذه الزقورة كانت اجل عبادة اله التجارة عند البابليون الذي ابن الاله . التأريخ يعتقد بأن مدينة يعود انشائها أور الثالثة وفي العصر البابلي التاسع يستقرون . لكن تم تدميرها هي ومعبدها خلال عهد الملك الاخميني . في .


Datei:Gestempelter Lehmziegel aus der Zikkurat und dem Tempel von Nabu, Borsippa, Irak.jpg

Klicken Sie auf ein Datum/eine Uhrzeit, um die Datei so anzuzeigen, wie sie zu diesem Zeitpunkt angezeigt wurde.

TerminzeitMiniaturansichtMaßeBenutzerKommentar
aktuell09:30, 7. September 20182.048 × 1.362 (801 KB) Neuroforever (Gespräch | Beiträge) Vom Benutzer erstellte Seite mit UploadWizard

Sie können diese Datei nicht überschreiben.


"Old Bricks - Geschichte zu Füßen"

Die Sudbury Brick Co. sind in Kellys 1912, 16 und 25 Ausgaben in der Waldfield Road, Sudbury-Büro, Acton Square, Sudbury aufgeführt. Informationen und Foto von Martyn Fretwell mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Bill Richardson Collection in der Southwick Hall.

Summer Lane, Barnsley

Summer Lane Brickworks, Barnsley Ltd., Summer Lane, Barnsley, South Yorks. Das Geschäft wurde 1913 aufgelöst. Foto & Infos von Frank Lawson.

Sommersitz

Summerseat in der Nähe von Bury, Foto von Colin Driver.

Gipfel

Fotos mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Sammlung Frank Lawson. Die Summit-Werke befanden sich in der Nähe von Littleborough in Lancashire.

Fotos mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Colin Driver.

Sumner Jnr, Crawley

Dies wurde 1880 in den Ifield Brickworks hergestellt, das Bild ist dank Richard Symonds in Schwarzweiß.

Fotografiert im Beamish Museum.

Sonnenuntergang

Fotografiert im Beamish Museum. Sunset Brick & Tile Co., Cowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne. Gegründet 1921 von W. Cochrane-Carr. Bis 1953 wurde Schiefer aus einem nahe gelegenen Steinbruch mit Sprengstoff abgebaut, als ein mechanischer Bagger und eine Schleppleine eingeführt wurden. 1967 war der Schiefer im benachbarten Steinbruch erschöpft, und ohne wirtschaftliche Versorgung in der Nähe wurden die Werke geschlossen. Informationen und Fotos mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Frank Lawson.

Superaxe: siehe Burn Fireclay Company

Sussex Brick Co. (Sussex handgefertigt)

Fotos von Martyn Fretwell. Die Sussex Hand Made Brick Company in Hastings produziert seit 1896 handgefertigte Ziegel und verwendet immer noch den Wadhurst Clay, der sich auf der Rückseite ihrer Werke befindet.

Sussex Brick & Estates Co Ltd

Foto von Darren über John Harrison.

Richard Symonds ist in der Nähe von Southwater in West Sussex darauf gestoßen und hat einige Nachforschungen über die Geschichte angestellt.

„Peter Peters von der Firma Horsham Builders, die für die anfängliche Entwicklung der Keymer Brick & Tile Co verantwortlich war, wurde 1899 ausverkauft und der neue Eigentümer, ein Londoner Bauunternehmer, gründete eine Firma, The Sussex Brick Co. Ltd (nicht zu verwechseln mit der gleichnamigen Firma in Hastings). und errichtete ein neues Werk und neue Gebäude, um die geringeren Abmessungen des Weald Clay zu nutzen, um im "Stiff Plastic"-Verfahren gepresste Ziegel herzustellen. zwei neue kohlebefeuerte Durchlauföfen vom Typ Hoffmann wurden gebaut, die Kohle wurde per Bahn aus Nottingham angeliefert. Hinter den Öfen befand sich eine Reihe von Pressen, die mit Ton aus einer parallelen Reihe von Mahlmühlen gespeist wurden. Der Ton wurde zu diesem Zeitpunkt noch von Hand gegraben und in Wagen, angetrieben von einem oben liegenden Endloskettenantrieb, zu den Schleifern geliefert. Doch bald geriet das Unternehmen in Schwierigkeiten. Anfängliche Probleme, die zu ungleichmäßiger Produktion und steigenden Kosten führten, wurden durch die Rezession in der Branche noch verschärft, und 1903 wurde ein neuer Manager ernannt, frisches Kapital zugeführt und die Sussex Brick & Estates Co Ltd gegründet.

Das neue Unternehmen kaufte einen dritten Durchlaufofen und steigerte die Produktion von Pressziegeln auf 12 Millionen jährlich. Darüber hinaus wurden auf den beiden noch in Betrieb befindlichen saisonalen Werften jährlich 8 Millionen Ziegel hergestellt, wobei die obersten sechs Fuß Ton verwendet wurden, der für die Herstellung von Pressziegeln ungeeignet war. All dies widersprach dem allgemeinen Trend des Niedergangs in der Grafschaft und war möglicherweise zum Teil auf die überlegene Marketingtechnik des Unternehmens sowie den einfallsreichen Einsatz der Öffentlichkeitsarbeit zur Werbung für seine Waren zurückzuführen. 1912 wurde in der Tongrube von Warnham ein Dampfbagger in Betrieb genommen und zum Anlass für Feierlichkeiten gemacht, über die in den Sussex Daily News am 8. Februar berichtet wurde: '. eine führende Industrie in Sussex ist die Ziegelherstellung, denn im großen und kleinen Maßstab ist sie überall anzutreffen, wo man hin will. Bei Warnham können moderne Methoden in vollem Umfang bei der Arbeit beobachtet werden. Dort zeigt die Sussex Brick and Estates Company Ltd., die auch ein weiteres Werk in Southwater hat, das Neueste in der Ziegelherstellung, für Geschwindigkeit der Produktion, natürlich kombiniert mit Qualität. '.

Die obigen Daten wurden der Veröffentlichung 'Brickmaking in Sussex' ISBN 1 873 793 197 (1993) von M. Beswick entnommen.

Thomas Sutcliffe

Thomas Sutcliffe, Wrose Brow, Windhill, Shipley, West Yorks - Post Office Bradford Trades Directory, 1887 & White's Directory of Leeds & The Clothing District, 1894. Die Arbeiten wurden bis mindestens 1912 unter der Leitung von Sutcliffe fortgesetzt. Info und Bild von Frank Lawson.

William Sutcliffe

William Sutcliffe betrieb Armley Brick Works, Stanningley Road, Armley, Leeds und Woodhouse Hill Brickworks. Aufgeführt zwischen 1875 und 1912. Info von PRBCO und Bild von Frank Lawson.

Sutton, Overseal

Swadlincote

Aus welcher Ziegelei im Swadlincote-Gebiet dieser Ziegel stammt, ist nicht bekannt. Foto von Martyn Fretwell.

Swain

William Swain, Howarth Cross, Halifax Road, Smallbridge, Rochdale. Foto von David Kitching.

Schwalbenste

Danke an Simon Patterson für das Foto.

Foto mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Frank Lawson-Kollektion.

Die Swallownest Brick Co lag bei Swallowest im Osten
von Sheffield. Infos von David Kitching.

Dieser Ziegelstein ist in North Lincolnshire zu sehen und stammt wahrscheinlich aus einem Werk in Yorkshire oder Lincolnshire. Foto von Frank Lawson.

Swanage

Aus einem Artikel der British Brick Society geht hervor, dass die Swanage Brick & Tile Co. in Godlingston im Juni 1983 erstmals ihren neuen rechteckigen Downdraft-Ofen in Betrieb nahm und einen früheren Downdraft-Ofen aus dem Jahr 1935 ersetzte. Heute betreibt Ibstock noch immer dieses Werk nördlich von Swanage und stellt maßgeschneiderte handgefertigte Ziegel her. Es wurde auch festgestellt, dass diese Ziegelei als Godlingston Brick & Tile Works auf einem 1900 O.S. Karte. Informationen und fotografiert im Bursledon Brick Museum von Martyn Fretwell.

Schwanenbanken, Halifax

1864 wurde die Swan Banks Coal and Brick Company in Halifax, West Yorkshire, gegründet. Bis 1873 schloss das Unternehmen eine Vereinbarung, 24 Morgen sowohl Hartbett- als auch Weichbettkohle unter Marsh Farm zu nehmen, aber bis 1875 war die Mine geschlossen. Die Swans Bank Brick and Coal Company stellte weiterhin Ziegel in der Bailey Hall Road her, wo sie Schiefer abbauten. Die Familie Rawson besaß die Kohlemine seit den 1820er Jahren und entwickelte das Gelände zwischen dem Halifax-Kanal und dem Hochland-Marsh-Gebiet von Southowram. Die Halifax Brick Co war eine Vereinigung, die Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts von Morton's of Siddal, Swan Bank, Oates & Green und Charlestown Bricks gegründet wurde. Foto und Informationen von Derek Barker.

Gefunden von Roger Grimshaw in der Hebden Bridge.

Swan Brothers & Bourne

Swan Brothers & Bourne, West Cliffe Brickworks, Burton Road, Lincoln sind in diesen Handelsverzeichnissen aufgeführt, Kelly's 1876, White's1882, Kelly's 1885 und 1889 Ausgaben. Dieses Werk wurde 1889 zur Lincoln Brick Co. verschmolzen. Foto & Info von Martyn Fretwell.

Schwann

Gefunden in Riccall, North Yorks von Ian Prest.

Swann Radcliffe & Co.

Swann Radcliffe & Co. sind in Brassington, Wirksworth Derbys gelistet. im Abschnitt Fire Brick Manufacturers dieser Kelly-Verzeichnisse, Ausgaben von 1912, 25, 32 und 41. Eine Website von Brassington berichtet, dass das Unternehmen 1962 16 Mitarbeiter beschäftigte und 1971 geschlossen wurde. Foto und Informationen von Martyn Fretwell. Foto mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Newark & Sherwood Museum Services.

Swanton Novers

Gefunden in Swanton Novers, Norfolk, sollen diese EHEL & HEL gestanzten Ziegel in der Swanton Novers Brickyard in der Nähe von Melton Constable hergestellt worden sein. Diese Ziegelei war im Besitz von Lord Hastings von Melton Constable Hall und ist von 1885 bis 1950 auf OS-Karten dargestellt. Informationen und Fotos von Martyn Fretwell.

Sweeney, Oswestry

Dieser spiegelbildliche Ziegelstein wurde in Brynteg in der Nähe von Wrexham gefunden. Bild PRBCO.

Foto von Richard Paterson

Alle drei wurden von Mike Shaw am Weston Wharf Standort Oswestry der Cambrian Railway Society entdeckt. Hier erreichte die Straßenbahn von Sweeneys Ziegelei die Hauptstrecke.

JF Swinburne and Sons, Birtley & Tanfield Brick Works

Eine Anzeige im Newcastle Courant - Freitag, 27. Januar 1888, besagte, dass die Firma 1852 gegründet wurde und landwirtschaftliche Abflussrohre, Ziegel und Pfannen liefern konnte. Foto und Infos von Mark Cranston.

Swindell & Collis, Birmingham

Swindell & Collis sind als Kohlemeister, Ziegel- und Fliesenhersteller bei Granville & Gorsty Hill Collieries, Old Hill, Cradley Heath in Jones' Mercantile Directory für 1865 verzeichnet. Sie sind erneut in Kellys Ausgabe von 1891 bei Granville Colliery verzeichnet. Info & Fototographiert bei Cawarden Reclamation von Martyn Fretwell.

Swindon

Die Swindon Brick & Tile Co. wird erstmals in Kellys Ausgaben von 1889 bis 1898 in Canal Side Brickworks, New Swindon, aufgeführt. Kellys Ausgaben von 1903 bis 1911 listet das Unternehmen nun mit einem zweiten Werk bei Rolleston Yard, Gorse Hill & George Whitehead ist als Eigentümer aufgeführt. Foto von Guy Morgan, Infos von Martyn Fretwell.

Robert Swinton

Robert Swinton ist in Kellys Ausgaben von 1876 bis 1896 in Tattershall, Boston Lincs aufgeführt. Robert starb im Dezember 1899 und hinterließ seinen persönlichen Nachlass seinen beiden Söhnen Edward und Christopher. Foto & Info von Martyn Fretwell.

Sykes


Dieser Ziegel wurde in Sledmere, North Yorkshire, gefunden und wurde wahrscheinlich in der Ziegelei in Bishop Wilton, ein paar Meilen südwestlich, hergestellt. Die Familie Sykes aus Sledmere besaß das Ziegelfeld und beschäftigte wahrscheinlich Thomas Grant aus Pocklington, um die Arbeiten während seiner gesamten Lebensdauer von 1854 bis 1886 zu verwalten. Foto und Informationen von Carla van Beveren.


Datei: Gestempelter Lehmziegel aus der Zikkurat und dem Tempel von Nabu in Borsippa, Irak, 6. Jahrhundert v. Chr..jpg

Klicken Sie auf ein Datum/eine Uhrzeit, um die Datei so anzuzeigen, wie sie zu diesem Zeitpunkt angezeigt wurde.

TerminzeitMiniaturansichtMaßeBenutzerKommentar
aktuell09:31, 7. September 20182.048 × 1.362 (1.006 KB) Neuroforever (Gespräch | Beiträge) Vom Benutzer erstellte Seite mit UploadWizard

Sie können diese Datei nicht überschreiben.


Die Geschichte der Ziegel und der Ziegelei

Seit Jahrtausenden verwendet der Mensch Ziegel zum Bauen. Ziegel stammen aus dem Jahr 7000 v. Chr., was sie zu einem der ältesten bekannten Baumaterialien macht. Sie wurden in der Südtürkei an der Stelle einer antiken Siedlung rund um die Stadt Jericho entdeckt.

Die ersten Ziegel, die in Gebieten mit warmem Klima hergestellt wurden, waren Lehmziegel, die zum Härten in der Sonne getrocknet wurden.
Altägyptische Ziegel wurden aus Lehm mit Stroh vermischt. Davon zeugen heute die Ruinen von Harappa Buhen und Mohenjo-daro. Gemälde an den Grabwänden von Theben zeigen ägyptische Sklaven, die Lehm für die sonnengetrockneten Ziegel mischen, härten und tragen.

Der größte Durchbruch gelang mit der Erfindung des gebrannten Ziegels um 3.500 v. Von diesem Moment an konnten Ziegel ohne Sonnenwärme hergestellt werden und wurden bald in kühleren Klimazonen beliebt.

Die Römer machten ihre Ziegel am liebsten im Frühjahr, dann lagerten sie sie zwei Jahre lang, bevor sie sie verkauften oder verwendeten. Sie verwendeten nur weißen oder roten Ton zur Herstellung von Ziegeln.
Den Römern gelang es dank mobiler Brennöfen, den gebrannten Ziegel im ganzen Land einzuführen. Dies waren Ziegel mit dem Zeichen der Legion, die die Ziegelproduktion beaufsichtigte. Römische Ziegel unterschieden sich in Größe und Form von anderen antiken Ziegeln, da sie häufiger rund, quadratisch, länglich, dreieckig und rechteckig waren. Die im Ofen gebrannten Ziegel maßen 1 oder 2 römische Fuß mal 1 römischer Fuß und manchmal bis zu 3 römische Fuß mit größeren. Die Römer verwendeten Ziegel für öffentliche und private Gebäude im gesamten römischen Reich. Sie bauten Mauern, Festungen, Kulturzentren, Gewölbe, Bögen und Wände ihrer Aquädukte. Das Herculaneum-Tor von Pompeji und die Thermen von Caracalla in Rom sind Beispiele für römische Backsteinbauten.

Während der Zeit des Römischen Reiches verbreiteten die Römer die Ziegelkunst in ganz Europa und dominierten sie auch im Mittelalter und in der Renaissance.

Mit dem Untergang des Römischen Reiches verschwand die Ziegelkunst fast vollständig und wurde nur in Italien und im Bizantinischen Reich fortgesetzt. Im 11. Jahrhundert breitete sich die Ziegelei von diesen Regionen nach Frankreich aus.

Im 12. Jahrhundert wurden Ziegel aus Norditalien wieder nach Norddeutschland eingeführt. Dadurch entstand die Backsteingotik mit Gebäuden, die hauptsächlich aus gebrannten roten Tonziegeln gebaut wurden. Beispiele für Gebäude im Stil der Backsteingotik finden sich in den baltischen Ländern wie Schweden, Dänemark, Polen, Deutschland, Finnland, Litauen, Lettland, Estland, Weißrussland und Russland. In dieser Zeit fehlen figurale Bauskulpturen, die zuvor aus Stein gemeißelt wurden. Die gotischen Figuren waren damals kaum aus Ziegeln herzustellen, ließen sich aber an gespaltenen Ziegelschichten in unterschiedlichen Farben, roten Ziegeln, glasierten Ziegeln und weißem Kalkputz erkennen. Schließlich wurden maßgefertigte und geformte Ziegel eingeführt, die die architektonischen Skulpturen nachahmen konnten. Im 16. Jahrhundert wurde die Backsteingotik durch die Backsteinrenaissance ersetzt.

Im Mittelalter wurde der Ton für die Ziegelherstellung oft von Arbeitern mit bloßen Füßen geknetet. Der Ton wurde zu Ziegeln geformt, indem er in einen Holzrahmen auf einem Tisch geschoben wurde, der mit Sand oder Stroh bedeckt war, um ein Ankleben des Tons zu verhindern. Nachdem überschüssiger Ton mit einem Stock abgewischt wurde, wurde der Ziegel vom Rahmen entfernt.

In England belegen Gebäudereste, dass die Ziegelkunst zur Zeit Heinrichs VIII. weit fortgeschritten war. Nach dem großen Brand von London 1666 wurde die Stadt hauptsächlich mit Ziegeln wieder aufgebaut.

Lehmziegel, ein sonnengetrockneter Ziegel aus Ton und Stroh, wird seit Jahrhunderten in Mittelamerika, insbesondere in Mexiko, hergestellt. Einige aztekische Lehmbauten existieren noch, ein Beispiel ist die im 15. Jahrhundert erbaute Sonnenpyramide.

Ziegel überquerten den Atlantik mit niederländischen und britischen Einwanderern, darunter auch einige Maurer. In Virginia wurden bereits 1611 Ziegelbauten gebaut. Zu dieser Zeit war es üblich, dass Ziegelsteine ​​auf der Baustelle hergestellt wurden. Es ist bekannt, dass im Jahr 1621 Ziegel von Virginia nach Bermuda transportiert wurden, um Nahrung und Öl zu erhalten.

Viele frühe amerikanische Wolkenkratzer sind mit Ziegeln oder Terrakotta verkleidet. Für den Bau des Empire State Building wurden 10 Millionen Ziegel benötigt.

Während der Renaissance und des Barocks wurden unverputzte Ziegelwände immer weniger beliebt, daher wurde das Mauerwerk mit Putz überzogen. Erst Mitte des 18. Jahrhunderts gewannen die Ziegelmauern wieder an Popularität.

Bis etwa 1885 wurden Ziegel in Handarbeit hergestellt. Als die industrielle Revolution ausbrach, wurden die Ziegelmaschinen eingeführt. Folglich wurde die Anzahl der Tone, die zu Ziegeln verarbeitet werden konnten, stark erhöht, was die Produktionskapazität beeinflusste. Die handgefertigte Ziegelproduktion reichte bis zu 36.000 Ziegel pro Woche, aber 1925 fertigte eine Ziegelmaschine 12.000 Ziegel pro Tag.

Da Ziegelkonstruktionen viel schneller und billiger gebaut werden konnten, ersetzten sie andere Rohstoffe wie Stein oder Fels.

Während des Baubooms des 19. Jahrhunderts, als jährlich mehr als 10 Milliarden Ziegel hergestellt wurden, bevorzugten viele amerikanische Städte wie Boston und New York lokal hergestellte Ziegel.

Im viktorianischen London wurden aufgrund des dichten Nebels leuchtend rote Ziegelsteine ​​​​gewählt, die Gebäude viel sichtbarer machten. Obwohl bei der Ziegelherstellung die Menge an Rotpigment reduziert wurde, blieb Rot die begehrteste Farbe für den Ziegel und tut es bis heute.

Es wurde von einigen der berühmtesten Architekten des 20. Jahrhunderts wie Le Corbusier, F. L. Wright und Louis Khan verwendet.
Heutzutage scheinen Ziegel neben Holz ein häufig verwendetes Baumaterial zu sein. Folglich dominiert die Ziegel- und Terrakotta-Architektur in ihrem Bereich mit einer großen Entwicklung in der Ziegelindustrie.


Gestanzter Ziegelstein von Borsippa - Geschichte

Coalbrookdale, Lightmoor. Foto aufgenommen am Blists Hill.

Foto von Martyn Fretwell mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Bill Richardson Collection in Southwick Hall.

Kohlefeld

Aus Mexborough, South Yorkshire. Foto von Simon Patterson.

Foto mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Frank Lawson-Kollektion.

Coalfield Brickyards Ltd., Clayfield Road, Mexborough, South Yorks. Liquidiert 1971. Die "Coalfield" Brickworks der Yorkshire Brick Company in Mexborough stellten gegen Ende 1982 das Feuer ein. Es war der letzte Pressed Brick Ofen in South Yorkshire, der in Betrieb war.

Kohlenmoor

All dies wurde verwendet, um ein Haus in Yuen Long, New Territories, Hongkong zu bauen. Es ist wahrscheinlich, dass der H A -Stein ebenfalls ein Produkt von Coalmoor ist. Fotos von Jadeling.

Coalmoor liegt in der Nähe von Telford in Shropshire.

Der Allenit war ein zäher feuerfester Ziegel, der zum Auskleiden von Öfen usw. verwendet wurde.

Foto von Colin Wooldridge aus der John Cooksey Collection

Hergestellt in Coalmoor, Telford, am selben Standort wie Allenite-Ziegel.

Die Coalmoor Sanitary Pipe Co. Ltd wurde 1901 gegründet und 1908 wurde die New Coalmoor Sanitary Pipe Co. Ltd., die in ihrem Werk in der Nähe der Woodlands Farm, jetzt Myford House Pflegeheim in der Woodlands Lane, Horsehay in der Nähe von Coalmoor, Rohre und Schamottsteine ​​herstellt. Telford zwischen 1908 und 1948. 1948 wurde das Unternehmen von Coalmoor Refactories Ltd gekauft, die feuerfeste Ziegel für die Stahlindustrie herstellten. 1951 kaufte das Unternehmen die nahegelegene Ziegelei Lightmoor und verlagerte damit die gesamte Produktion an den neuen Standort. Bis 1980 beschäftigte das Unternehmen rund 150 Mitarbeiter im Steinbruch und im Werk. Die Lightmoor Works on Brick Kiln Bank, Lightmoor, war im Besitz von Ibstock, als sie 1992 geschlossen wurde, und auf dem Gelände sind jetzt Häuser gebaut. Allenite und Mossite sind beides Handelsnamen des Unternehmens. Infos von Martyn Fretwell.

Kohlehafen

Ein paar Infos und eine Karte mit dem Standort der Werke finden Sie unter diesem Link. Foto von Martyn Fretwell.

Cobridge Brick & Marl Co Ltd

Cobridge Brick and Marl Co Ltd. basierte auf Leek Road und produzierte gewöhnliche Ziegel mit einem "Cobridge"-Logo, das in den Frosch eingeformt war. Sie produzierten auch Schamottesteine ​​für die Auskleidung von Brennöfen in der Töpferindustrie und Ingenieurziegel für Fundamentarbeiten. Sie produzierten eine große Auswahl an handgefertigten Ziegeln auf Bestellung. Mergel wurde aus dem angrenzenden Mergelloch gewonnen und ein zweites hinter den Werken in der Sneyd Street. Sie hatten einen zweiten Produktionsstandort an der Scotia Road in Burslem, wo sie einen modernen kontinuierlichen Ölofen hatten. Informationen von John Roberts.

Cobridge Brick & Sanitär Pipe Co.

Cobridge Brick & Sanitary Pipe Co Ltd hatte seinen Sitz nur 200 Meter oberhalb von Cobridge Brick an der Leek Road. Ihr Standort in der Hamil Road Burslem wurde früh in ihrer Geschichte aufgegeben. Sie haben in der Hamil Road ein paar Ziegel hergestellt und diese wurden nach diesem Muster gestempelt. Beispiele sind selten, da sie noch nicht lange in der Ziegelproduktion waren. An ihrem Standort in Cobridge produzierten sie salzglasierte Rohre und Fliesen. Informationen von John Roberts und Foto von David Kitching.

Cochrane

Cochrane & Co Ltd betrieb in den 1890er Jahren und wahrscheinlich noch einige Jahre danach die New Brancepeth Colliery in der Grafschaft Durham. Fotos von Chris Tilney.

Spannen - Balby

Spannen - Doncaster

Verschiedene Steine ​​von Cocking & Sons of Balby, Doncaster, alle Fotos mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Frank Lawson Collection. Weitere Informationen zu diesem Unternehmen finden Sie im folgenden Eintrag.

Spannen - Walkeringham


Vorder- und Rückseite eines Cocking-Ziegels, Clayton ist der Name des Herstellers der Ziegelherstellungsmaschinen.

Fotografiert in der Nähe von Newark von Martyn Fretwell.

Martyn Fretwell schreibt:- Thomas Cocking gründete sein Walkeringham, Notts. Ziegelei um 1876, die rote und weiße Ziegel und rote Steinbruchfliesen herstellt. Thomas wurde auf diesem Hof ​​von seinen Söhnen und seinem Schwiegersohn George Cooper gefolgt. Dieses Werk wurde irgendwann in den 1940er Jahren verkauft und unter neuen Eigentümern weitergeführt, bis es 1956 geschlossen wurde. Nach dem Verkauf des Walkeringham-Werks eröffnete die Familie Cockings dann ein neues Werk in Balby Sie. Die Balby-Werke wurden dann in den 1960er Jahren Teil der Yorkshire Amalgamated Brick Co.. Fotografiert im Bassetlaw Museum, Retford von Martyn Fretwell.

Alfred Coe

Alfred Coe ist in der Ausgabe Whites 1892 in Crown St, Ipswich, Büros, Hadleigh, aufgeführt. Kellys Ausgabe von 1900 enthält zwei Werke bei Bromford & Hadleigh. Kellys Ausgaben von 1912 und 16 nehmen dann Alfred Coe auf, Exors of the Works Bromford. Kellys Ausgabe von 1925 verzeichnet A. Coe Ltd.-Büros, 15, Crown St. Ipswich, aber keine Werksadresse. Coe war auch ein Baumeister. Foto & Info von Martyn Fretwell.

Codnor Ville

Eine Zeitungsauktionsanzeige aus dem Jahr 1858 wirbt damit, dass Lot 4 der Verkauf von „One Half Share in Codnor Ville Brick Yard“ war. In der Auktionsanzeige ist kein Name des Eigentümers dieser Werft angegeben, es heißt nur, dass "The Tennant's will the Premises" zeigen. Theadore Hickling war der Eigentümer des Grundstücks, auf dem diese Ziegelei errichtet worden war, also könnte er derjenige gewesen sein, der den halben Anteil an der Werft verkaufte. Die Untersuchung des Wortes Ville hat ergeben, dass dies ein französisches Wort für Stadt ist, was dazu führte, dass Codnor Ville (Stadt) in den Ziegelstein oben ohne das e eingeprägt wurde. Eine Karte von 1854, die den Grundriss der Baugrundstücke und die neuen Straßen einer neuen Wohnsiedlung in der Nähe der Mill Lane in Codnor zeigt, zeigt auch die Ziegelei im Zentrum der Siedlung. In Kellys Ausgabe von 1857 sind Robert und Charles Taylor als Ziegelmacher in Codnor und aus der Volkszählung von 1881 Thomas Allcock und seine beiden Söhne als Ziegelmacher verzeichnet, die im nahe gelegenen Prospect Place in Codnor leben. Also hätte jede dieser beiden Familien diese Ziegel herstellen können. Info & fotografiert bei Ripley Reclamation von Martyn Fretwell.

Cogenhoe, Northampton

Die Cogenhoe Iron Ore Co. wurde 1858 gegründet und 1877 wurde von der Firma eine Ziegelei gebaut, um den ausgehobenen Ton zu nutzen. Dieses Vorhaben war jedoch nur von kurzer Dauer, da die Nachfrage nach Eisenerz zurückging und das Unternehmen 1880 geschlossen wurde. Info & Foto von Martyn Fretwell.

Colborne, Swindon

GH Colchester, Burwell, Cambs.

GH Colchester, Burwell, Newmarket, Cambs. Angeblich, um seinen Arbeitern im Winter Arbeit zu geben, eröffnete T. T. Ball etwas nördlich von Burwell jenseits der alten Ader eine Ziegelei, die schließlich in Factory-Ader umbenannt wurde. Im Jahr 1881 beschäftigte T. T. Ball 33 Männer in den chemischen Werken, seit den 1880er Jahren in Partnerschaft mit W. und G. H. Colchester einer Düngemittelfirma in Suffolk. Um 1900 waren diese Werke durch eine Privatstrecke mit der Cambridge-Mildenhall-Eisenbahn durch Soham verbunden. Ihre Firma, Colchester & Ball, produzierte bis 1900 weiterhin sowohl Düngemittel, das importierte Phosphate verwendete, als auch die Burwell White-Ziegel. Als G. H. Colchester 1919 in den Ruhestand ging, wurde es von einem anderen Düngemittelunternehmen aus East Anglia, Prentices, übernommen.

Prentices wurde wiederum 1929 in Fisons Ltd. fusioniert, die bis nach 1962 in Burwell Düngemittel herstellte frühere. Es blieb in den 1960er Jahren im Einsatz und beschäftigte c. 45 Mitarbeiter und produziert bis zu 10.000.000 Ziegel pro Jahr. 1966 verkaufte Fisons es an einen Ziegelhersteller in Leicestershire. Nachdem weiße Ziegel an Popularität verloren hatten, wurde es 1971 geschlossen. Die Gebäude wurden bis auf einige Arbeiterhütten 1972 abgerissen, ihre beiden 180-Fuß-Häuser. hohe Schornsteine ​​werden gesprengt. Foto und Informationen mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Frank Lawson-Kollektion.

Coleford

Auch heute noch produziert Coleford Brick & Tile Co. handgemachte Ziegel. Die 1925 gegründete Marians Brickworks lag zwischen Coleford und Staunton. Der größte Teil seiner frühen Produktion wurde von der lokalen Bergbauindustrie in und um den Forest of Dean verwendet, aber jetzt werden die handgefertigten Ziegel des Unternehmens hauptsächlich von der Bauindustrie verwendet. Die Marians-Ziegelfabrik wurde nach dem 2. Weltkrieg geschlossen und eine zweite und heutige Royal Forest of Dean Works wurde 1935 in Cinderford auf dem Gelände einer ehemaligen Ziegelei eröffnet. Zu den jüngsten Verträgen gehörten zweieinhalb Millionen Ziegelsteine ​​für die neue British Library in London und 168.000 Ziegelsteine ​​für den 118 Fuß hohen Turm des neu renovierten Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford on Avon. Foto von Colin Wooldridge aus der John Cooksey Collection & Info von Martyn Fretwell. Fotos einer Werksbesichtigung finden Sie hier.

W H Collier

William Homan Collier gründete 1863 seine Ziegelei Marks Tey in der Nähe von Colchester. William hatte zuvor bei E & R Collier in Reading gearbeitet. William H. Collier ist in Kellys Ausgaben 1882, 94 und 1902 bei Marks Tey aufgeführt. Die Ausgabe von 1914 listet das Unternehmen jetzt als Collier Ltd mit Werken in Marks Tey, Hutton, Shenfield & Cranham, Upminster auf. Die Expansion von Collier Ltd. könnte nach Williams Rückzug aus der Ziegelei oder seinem Tod stattgefunden haben. Das Unternehmen blieb bis 1988 in der Familie Collier, dann wurde das Unternehmen nach mehreren Besitzerwechseln 2004 von Wienerberger übernommen. Das Werk Marks Tey wurde dann von einem Management Buyout-Team unter der Leitung von Maurice Page übernommen & das Werk wird noch heute produziert unter dem Namen WH . tätig Collier Ltd. Zwei Downdraft-Öfen aus dem ursprünglichen Werk von 1863 stehen noch. Infos und Fotos von Martyn Fretwell.

J Collins, Pensnett

James Collins ist in Kellys Ausgaben von 1868 bis 1880 in Pensnett, Kingswinford, Dudley aufgeführt. Infos und Foto von Martyn Fretwell.

J S Collins, Gornalwood

Samuel John Collins ist im Jones Directory von 1865 als Ziegelfabrikant in 'Barrs Meadow' aufgeführt, wo sich später die Gaswerke befanden. John Samuel Collins ist bei Gornal Wood, Dudley in Kellys 1868-Ausgabe aufgeführt. Dieses Werk befand sich in der Himley Road. Kellys Ausgaben von 1872 bis 1904 listet jetzt die Werke bei Lower Gornal, Dudley auf. Das Studium von Karten hat ergeben, dass dies die gleichen Arbeiten waren. Info & Fotografiert im Black Country Living Museum von Martyn Fretwell mit zusätzlichen Informationen von Colin Morris.

W Collins, Newton le Willows

Fotografiert in einer Cambridgeshire-Sammlung von Martyn Fretwell.

W J Collins

Bei Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley fotografiert. Kellys Staffordshire-Ausgaben von 1896 bis 1908 zeigen William James Collins als Ziegelmacher in Oaken, Albrighton, Wolverhampton. Foto & Info von Martyn Fretwell.

Collins Green

Alan Davies schreibt: Das Unternehmen hatte eine Zeche in Collins Green, in der Nähe von Bold, St. Helens und auch eine Ziegelei in Burtonwood, die täglich bis zu 10.000 Ziegel produzierte. Einige wurden beim Bau von 154 Arbeiterhütten im Dorf verwendet.

Colney Hatch

Möglicherweise von einer kleinen Ziegelei, die auf der Südseite der Summer's Lane in der Nähe von Colney Hatch, Middlesex, lag. Es scheint Anfang der 1890er Jahre eröffnet worden zu sein und war 1912 verschwunden. Foto von Lal Hardy.

Colt Park: siehe H W Watson

Colthurst Symons & Co., Bridgwater

Gefunden in Tenby von Gary Davies.

Foto von John Morley. William Symons eröffnete 1851 eine Ziegelei. Bis 1859 waren Colthurst & Symons & Co. führende Ziegelhersteller in der Gegend. Bis 1881 wurden große Stückzahlen beschäftigt, 85 von einem Hersteller. Die größte Werft war die Crossway Brick and Tile Works of Colthurst, Symons und Co. 1887 gab es drei Werften, Crossway, Fursland's Somerset Yard und New Yard. New Yard wurde 1898 von William Symons gehalten. Die Ziegelherstellung in der Gegend ging Anfang des 20. Jahrhunderts zurück. Die Partner sind auch in Handelsverzeichnissen als Betreiber des Ziegelwerks Llanthony in Gloucester aufgeführt.

Colwich

Die Colwich Brick & Tile Co. ist in Kellys Ausgaben von 1904 bis 1940 in Colwich, Stafford aufgeführt. Um 1900 gegründet, wurde das Werk 1970 geschlossen. Fotos der verfallenen Werke unter diesem Link. Foto & Info von Martyn Fretwell.

Commondale Brick, Pipe and Pottery Company Ltd

Ein Schornstein, der von Jo Crossley in Neasham gefunden wurde.

Ein verziertes Formteil, Foto von Jo Crossley.

Foto von Jo Crossley. Die Familie Crossley, siehe späterer Eintrag, benutzte den Namen COMMONDALE auf einigen ihrer
Produkte.

Conisboro

Hergestellt in Conisborough, South Yorkshire, Danke an Simon Patterson für die Fotos.

Yorkshire Amalgamated Products, Ashfield Brickworks, Conisbrough, Doncaster. Ashfield Fire Clay Works auf Clifton Hill in Conisbrough wurde in den 1850er Jahren von Thomas Henry Simpson gegründet. Nach seinem Tod im Jahr 1880 wurde das Eigentum von George Walker und Godfrey Edward Crawshaw von Doncaster erworben und nach ihrem Tod um 1887 an ihre Söhne Edward Crawshaw und Godfrey Walker übergeben. 1920 kaufte Yorkshire Amalgamated Products Ltd aus Doncaster, die Eigentümer mehrerer anderer Ziegeleien in Yorkshire, das Geschäft und die Produktion wurde bis zur Schließung im Jahr 1961 fortgesetzt im nahegelegenen Mexborough. Weitere Informationen finden Sie auf dieser Website. Fotos und Informationen mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Frank Lawson-Kollektion.

Konsett

Foto mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Frank Lawson-Kollektion.

Consett Firebrick Company

Consett Firebrick Company, Shotley Bridge, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Foto von Chris Tilney.

Consett Iron Co Ltd

Consett Iron Co. Ltd., Consett, Co. Durham. This was a massive industrial concern producing steel, coal, coke and other related products from the mid 19th century until closure in 1980. The Company owned several brickworks including Delves on the outskirts of Consett, Garesfield and Templeton. Photo by Chris Tilney

Cook, Washington station

The name on this brick is unusually on the header end. Photo by Steven Tait.

Alfred Cook

Alfred Rankin Cook is listed as brickmaker at Stratton St. Marys, Long Stratton & at Swainsthorpe, Norwich in Kellys 1896 & 1904 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W Cooke & Co, Tinsley

No Info other than there was a William Cooke who produced Iron, steel & wire ropes at Tinsley, but no mention of bricks in the Grace's Guide entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.

Cookson

Photos by Frank Lawson. J H Cookson & Son Ltd of Lofthouse, West Yorkshire.

Cooper

Front and back of a Cooper brick found by David Rogers near Lincoln. Clayton is the name of the brick machinery manufacturer. Martyn Fretwell adds: John Cooper is listed in Kelly's 1876 to 1891 editions at Misterton, Notts. The next entries are for George Cooper possibly John's son and he is listed in Kelly's 1900 to 1936 editions at Misterton.

J F Cooper

John Cooper, Mill Lane, Blackburn, Lancs, is thought to have been in business c1865.

T Cooper & Co, Shelton, Derby

Cooper, Maidenhead

Kelly's 1854 edition lists J.K. & H. Cooper at East Street, Maidenhead & Pinkney's Green, Berks. Then Kellys, 1887, 1899 & 1915 editions list the company as John Kinghorn Cooper & Sons, Castle Hill & Pinkney's Green, Maidenhead. The Cooper's owned the works between 1825 & 1955. More info at this Link. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Cooper Newcastle

John Cooper, Kingsfield Brickworks, Newcastle-under-Lyme. He is listed in 1841 as a brick manufacturer at living at Hartshill, In 1851 he was emmploying 3 men and in 1861 the business was John Cooper & Son, King's Field, Shelton New Road, Newcastle. William Cooper his son is listed in 1861 as a master brick and tile maufacturer employing 15 men and 13 boys. The works was closed by 1871 and William Cooper had moved to Springfield Tileries by then. The works was reopened by Deane & Co by 1873. Photo by David Kitching.

Thomas Cope first appears as a brickmaker in the 1842 trade directory at Steels Nook, Longton and the business is listed as being run by his executors by 1864. In 1869 the works is listed as Holden Bridge Brickyard, Smallthorne and it is last mentioned in 1904. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Blue paver. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

J Cope & Son

Ken Perkins records J. Cope & Son at the Midland Port Vale Tileries in 1878 & I have found that John Cope (blue metallic) is listed as brickmaker at Port Vale, Wolstanton Stoke on Trent & Smallthorne in Kelly's 1868 edition & then in the 1872 edition the listing is Norton in the Moors, Burslem & Wolstanton SOT. Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Copford

For the history of this works please see John Ambrose entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

A Copp

Found at St Lawrence, Jersey. Photo by Richard Watson.

G Copp

Made by G Copp, Maufant, Jersey. The works operated from the 1890s to 1914. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Coptrod

Coptrod Brickworks Ltd., Mellor Street, Rochdale. Photos by David Kitching.

London Gazette July 1920:- COPTROD BRICKWORKS Limited. AT an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above named Company, duly convened, and held at Sparth Brickworks, Rochdale, on the 9th day of June, 1920, the following Resolutions were duly passed as Extraordinary Resolutions and at a subsequent Extraordinary General Meeting of the Members of the said Company, also duly convened, and held at the same place on the 1st day of July, 1920, such Resolutions were duly confirmed as Special Resolutions, namely:—

1. " That the Coptrod Brickworks Limited be wound up voluntarily."

2. " That Charles Percival Menday, of Sparth Brickworks, Rochdale, Company Secretary is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purpose of such winding-up."

Dated this 2nd day of July, 1920. THOMAS HOWARTH, Chairman.

Photo and info from Frank Lawson.

Corbett, Stoke Works

A Worcestershire brick, Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum

Corbridge on Tyne

The front and back of a Corbridge brick. Photo by Mark Cranston.

Corby see Weldon & Corby

Cornard, Suffolk

Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Cornard Brick & Tile Co. Sudbury, Suffolk was in production between 1919 & 1964. This example was made after 1945. Full history of the works, page 4. http://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/bbs/bbs-43.pdf/at_download/file
Image of the washmill. http://www.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/photoarchive/viewimage.asp?id=670 . Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Cornes, Hanley

The Cornes works was on, Slippery Lane, Hanley, adjacent to the Shelton Colliery. By 1900 it was sharing the marl hole with the Sun Street Works to the south. In 1867 the works was operated by Richard B Clarke and Cornes only appears in the 1896 directory. By 1904 the firm was trading as C Cornes & Sons but in 1907 the works is listed as operated by the Hanley & Tunstall Fireclay Co Ltd. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Cornish

With this brick just being stamped Cornish I have attributed it to Orbell Cornish who's sons/grandsons also follow him as brickmakers in Essex. Orbell Cornish is listed in Kellys 1871 to 1882 editions at Sible Hedingham, Halstead, Essex. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Daniel Cornish & Co.

Daniel Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Daniel Cornish & Co. owned the Shenfield & Hutton Brickworks in Shenfield, Brentwood & this works is first listed in Kellys 1899 edition. Kellys 1902 edition now includes a 2nd works at Wickford & was situated at the end of Station Avenue. Daniel continues to run both works until the Wickford Works is listed in Kellys 1917 edition as being owned by John Cornish (possibly his brother). John Cornish is listed at Wickford until Kellys 1922 edition. As of yet no bricks stamped John Cornish have been found. Back to Daniel & he continues to be listed in Kellys at the Shenfield & Hutton Works until my last available trade directory in 1937. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Edward Cornish, Eastwood, Essex

Edward Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Edward is listed in Kellys 1902 edition at the Eastwood Brickworks, Rochford, Essex. This entry continues until the 1922 edition when it's now Edward Cornish, Eastwood B/W's, Rayleigh Road, Southend. Kellys 1937 entry is the same & is the last Essex trade directory that I have access to. The works closed in 1973 by which time Edward's son was running the business. Edward lived to the grand old age of 100 & died in 1974. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell. Further info from Stephen Marks.

Eli Cornish

Eli Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. Eli stamped his bricks ECC to distinguish his bricks from his brother's Edward Cornish who stamped his bricks, EC. Eli's Tortoise Brickworks was on Wethersfield Road, Sible Hedingham & he is listed in Kellys 1894 edition to 1929 edition at this works. A web article records him brickmaking between 1886 & 1932. In Kellys 1902 edition Eli is listed as briefly owning the Hedingham Brick Co., after which that works reverted back to being owned by Mark Gentry who had previously owned it. Eli also owned a 2nd brickworks called the Sidings Brickworks at Purls Hill, Sible Hedingham & this works is listed in Kellys 1914 & 17 editions. Eli Cornish is also recorded as being a director of the Sible Hedingham Red Brick Co. which took over Mark Gentry's Highfield Works, Purls Hill after he had finished brickmaking & the S.H.R.B. Co. is listed from Kellys 1922 edition as owning this works. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell with some info from a BBS article by Adrian Corder-Birch.

Fred Cornish, Tortoise

Fred Cornish is listed as brickmaker at the Tortoise Brickworks, Wethersfield Road, Sible Hedingham in Kellys 1933 & 37 editions. Fred followed Eli Cornish at the works who may have been his father. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W Cornish

William Cornish was the son of Orbell Cornish, brickmaker in Sible Hedingham. William is listed in Kellys 1886 & 90 editions at High Beech Road, Loughton, Essex. Kellys 1894 edition now records the company as William Cornish & Co. at Chigwell Road, South Woodford. This entry continues until 1925 when the listing is H.R. Cornish, Chigwell Road, South Woodford. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W D Cornish

W. D. Cornish, Enfield. Middx. started around 1990's along with several other brickworks in the area. His Bush Hill Park works flourished until the price of land increased & his works was the last to close in the Enfield area in 1936. Info by Martyn Fretwell and photographed in a Kent reclamation yard.

Krone


Found near Measham, Leicestershire, photo by Michael Raybould.

Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Peter Harris writes: These were made by Coronet Brick co ltd of Measham. They made both bricks and salt glazed pipes They only made pipes in the later years They closed about 1965 I do not think they were connected to Redbank as they were on the other side of the Midland Railway at Measham.

Martyn Fretwell adds Coronet Brick and Terra Cotta Works was in production by 1903 and was one of a trio of brickworks on Atherstone Road. Redbank was on the opposite side of the railway line and Measham Terra Cotta Co. was to the north, each with its own adjoining clay pits. The company may have taken its name from nearby Coronet House situated 150 meters from the works.

Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Cossall Colliery Co.

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

Martyn Fretwell writes :- The Cossall Colliery Co. is listed in Kelly's 1916 & 22 editions with three railway siding depots in Nottingham. The brickworks was next to the colliery in the village of Cossall, Notts, which is just east of Ilkeston. A mining reference records the Cossall Colliery Co. brickworks as making 10,000 bricks per day in 1923 & by 1940 the output was 15,000 bricks per day.

Cosslet, Warmley

Richard Cosslett junior is listed in Slater's 1880 Bristol trade directory as brick & terra cotta manufacturer at Warmley, Glos. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Coton Park, Burton on Trent

Found near Repton in Derbyshire by Frank Lawson. The 1895 Kelly's Directory for Derbyshire lists "Coton Park & Linton Colliery Ltd" of Linton, Burton upon Trent as brick manufacturers.

Cottam & Barlboro

Photo by Simon Patterson. Cottam Colliery, Barlborough was sunk in 1853 & was owned by Appleby & Co. then later by the Eckington Coal & Iron Co. The 1875 OS map shows the associated brickworks was next to Cottam No.2 pit, also known as Cottam "New Colliery". Both colliery & brickworks had disappeared by the 1899 map.

See also the entry for Barlboro.

Cottam Hall Brick Co

The Cotton Hall Brick Company works was situated at Ingol to the northwest of Preston beside the Lancaster Canal.

Photos of the works can be found here.

County, Stacksteads

Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

The County Brick & Tile Co. at Rakehead, Stackstead, Lancs went into liquidation on the 26th May 1900 after 13 years of production & was owned by Thomas Ratcliffe. Seventeen years after the disused brickworks had closed the 114ft chimney, constructed with 90,000 bricks was pulled down. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Coupe

Frank Lawson writes: I am confident that this brick was made by Coupe Brothers, Brickmakers who, according to several street directories, operated out of several addresses in Sheffield including Carlisle Street East & Sorby Street. Coupe Brothers (Bricks), 19 Carlisle Street East works, Eleanor Street, Attercliffe, Sheffield. Kelly's Sheffield Directory 1923 - 1935

Cousins, Whitehaven

Michael Cousins is listed as a master builder in the 1880's directories and in 1881 as builder and Brick and Tile maker. Site of works not known at present. Info by Solway Past, photo by Phil Jenkins.

Cowcroft

I found a Buckinghamshire County Council reference to a brick kiln at Cowcroft, Ley Hill, Chesham, recorded as being in operation in the 19th & 20th centuries at this grid reference SP 98720 01810 on Kiln Lane and may have been the location where this brick was made. There was another brickworks also now closed at Meadhams Farm, situated slightly south of the Cowcroft site & this works was owned by the Dunton Brothers / Michelmersh Group. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the David Penney Collection.

Cowen M

Joseph Cowen & Co., Blaydon Burn Brickworks, Co Durham. Kelly's Durham Directory 1890. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Another Cowen brick has been found by Tom Ostrander along the path of the Seattle and Lake Shore Railroad at Issaquah Washington, the first rail line built out of Seattle and across the Cascade mountains. It was built in 1885-1887.

Cowie

Martyn Fretwell writes :- No trade directory entries have been found for this paver, but with photographing it at Oldfield Reclamation, Old Hill I expect it was made in the West Bromwich/ Tipton area. If you can help with information for this brick, please contact David. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Cowling

Photo taken at an old house in the village of Everton in North Nottinghamshire by Joe Jefferies. Frank Lawson writes: I think this was almost certainly made by John Cowling of Spital Terrace Gainsborough, Lincs (White's Lincolnshire Directory 1856). Everton is very close to Gainsborough and I also found one in the same vicinity.

John Cowling is first listed in White's 1853 edition as brickmaker at Walkeringham, Notts. John is then followed by his son William in the running of the works in 1861. This works consisted of two yards, one either side of the Chesterfield Canal. Kelly's Lincolnshire 1868 edition records William as him living at Crowgarth, Gainsborough & his works at Walkeringham, Notts. After William's early death in 1871 aged 35, his wife Maria ran the two yards until she sold them as two individual lots in 1880. The entry for Cowling & Co. appears in Kelly's 1876 Notts. edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Found in Dunham on Trent by Carl.

Coxlodge

Coxlodge Colliery Fire Brick Works at Gosforth, Newcastle outlasted the collieries themselves by many years and from map evidence was open from before 1895 to after 1938. Photo and info by Ian Suddaby.

This brick was photographed by Dave McAnelly at the Coxlodge, Gosforth and District Social Club, on Jubilee Road, Coxlodge, Newcastle upon Tyne. It was part of a wall that was removed during refurbishment work and kept as a memento, the Club was purpose built and opened in June 1910. Thanks to Ken Roddam.

Cradley Heath

This brick could have been made at the Congreaves Brickworks, Cradley Heath owned by the British Iron Co. History of the brickworks can be read at this link. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info supplied by Martyn Fretwell.

Craig Bros, Sacriston

Craig Brothers were a local builders firm, their yard was on Findon Hill, Sacriston, County Durham, where there is still a small row of 1930s semi-detached houses called 'Craigland Villas'. Craig's was a family firm, one of whose daughters, born in Sacriston, was the actress Wendy Craig. Photo by Chris Tilney.

Cramlington

Made at Cramlington colliery north of Newcastle on Tyne, photos by Tony Gray.

East Cramlington Brickworks - probably associated with Cramlington Colliery. Photo by Frank Lawson.

W Crane, Newton Burgoland, Ashby de la Zouch

William Crane, brickmaker in Newton Burgoland, Swepstone, Ashby-De-La-Zouch is listed in Kelly's 1895 to 1908 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Cranleigh

A brickworks was established next to Baynards Railway Station near Cranleigh, Surrey in the early 20th century & was known as Baynards Brick & Tile Works. After many years of producing bricks & Fuller's earth for the wool industry & then producing foundry clay, the site was purchased by Steetley Chemicals in 1937. Production of chemicals continued on the site until 1989 when the works closed. A new brickworks was then established just to the west of the chemical works in 1990 & was known as the Cranleigh Brick & Tile Co. The brickworks closed in 2004 & the site was then used to store bricks from other brickworks. Today after being derelict for many years the site is in the process of being turned into a nature reserve. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

H & W Crapper

Henry and William Crapper were running the Wisewood brickworks at Loxley by 1893, the business having previously been operated in partnership by Thomas Marshall and William Crapper at their Storrs Bridge Works in the Loxley Valley. Their works was severely damaged in the Sheffield Flood when the Dale Dyke Dam at Bradfield burst on the night of 11th / 12th March 1864. Their claim for damages for £1603 11s 2d was agreed at £1217.10s 0d. Later Thomas Marshall concentrated on the refractory brick side of the business at the Storrs Bridge works while the Crappers concentrated on the manufacture of house bricks at a works lower down the Loxley Valley at Wisewood. In 1901 the Crappers Brick Co. Ltd. was in existence but the deaths of the brothers led to the business being taken over by the Wisewood Brick Company around that time. Info from John Bramall.

Feige

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

These bricks were the product of John Craven at the large Roundwood brickworks at Alverthorpe, Wakefield which opened in 1862. John Craven was the inventor of the stiff-plastic process and the owner of the first Hoffman kiln in Britain. The kiln was fired continuously until 1909. John Craven designed the brick-making machines and grinding pans. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.

Craven Brickworks

The Craven Brickworks, Cockshutts Lane, Wolverhampton was established by Joseph Onions after 1902 and prior to 1908 and was then run by Isaac Onions from 1912 to 1916. Photo by Duncan Russell.

Halbmond

Crescent Brick Co., George Holt manager, Bilston Road, Willenhall. Kelly’s Directory, 1900. Photo & info by Martyn Fretwell.

Crofts Plastic

Thomas Croft Brickworks, Deepdale, Preston. Photo by Colin Driver, info by Frank Lawson.

Croft Stone

Photographed at Cadeby Reclamation yard. Martyn writes :- With this brick being photographed in Leicestershire, C.S. could be Croft Stone, Quarry & Brick Co. Croft, Hinckley which is recorded in Kelly's 1877 edition. From the 1881 to 1912 editions the Company is listed as Croft Granite & Brick Co. with the 1881 entry recording Henry Davis Pochin & Samuel Davenport Pochin as Proprietors.

Crompton & Co Ltd, Croston

Crompton's brick and tile works was situated to the south of Croston Station in Lancashire and was well established by 1892. By 1910 the works was connected to the clay pit by an aerial ropeway. Production continued until at least the early 1970s when it was marked as a tile works on the OS map.

Crook & Co.

Examples of this brick have been found in Bolton and Wigan. Photo by David Kitching.

Crooks

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.

Crosby

Crosland Coal Company

Found on the site of Cleckheaton Central station, probably made by the Crosland Coal Company, Webster Lane, Scholes, Cleckheaton. Listed 1877 to 1897, info and image PRBCO.

Cross image

With this brick being marked with a cross, I was told it was made at the St. Helens brickworks in Ipswich & I found that there is a brickworks marked on the 1882 & 1900 maps off Back Hamlet & close to St. Helens Church. There is another option of it being made at the Trinity Brickworks which was situated on the other side of Back Hamlet next to Holy Trinity Church & this works is shown on the 1882 & 1900 maps. Kelly's 1896 edition lists Joseph Bird as owning the Trinity Brickworks & this works closed around 1910. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Cross Keys

This brick was found and photographed in a fireplace at Holbeach, Lincolnshire, by David Spellane. The end of the brick is scribed W A 1832. My best stab at the brickyard where it was made is that it comes from the Cross Keys brick field, immediately on the east side of Sutton Bridge, a few miles to the east of Holbeach. The owners of the initials RS and also WA are unknown.

John Crossley

John Crossley, Stockton on Tees, Co. Durham. John Crossley was a retailer of building products from Stockton-on-Tees having also opened a builders merchants in Middlesbrough in 1858. Between 1871 and 1947 he operated several brickworks in the South Durham / North Yorkshire area including Commondale & Grosmont which produced many clay building products, as well as terracotta ware at Commondale.

See also the entries for Commondale and Tudor.

Crossley, Middlesbro - photos by Simon Patterson.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Found on the beach at Saltburn by Jo Crossley.

Crossling Benwell

Hartley Hudson Crossling produced at the Condercum Brickworks adjacent to the Charlotte Pit in Benwell, (although not commercially connected to that concern), to the west of Newcastle upon Tyne. Info by Arthur Brickman, photo by Thomas Davison.

Crowborough

Martyn Fretwell was told at the brick yard that this one is from Crowborough. INFO from net - Crowborough Brickworks at Jarvis Brook, started around 1890 and was in production until February 1980. It was owned by Redland when it closed in 1982. The site is now part industrial and part nature reserve. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell. 2 links for the brickworks. http://www.theweald.org/B10.asp?bookid=payne02050 http://www.theweald.org/m00.asp?PicIdto=45151104

Crowle

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Made near Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.

BSC operated the Crowle Brickworks near Scunthorpe between 1967 & 1972. Full history of the works at these two links: here and here. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Crown Clay Co

Situated at a Crew's Hole, Bristol the Crown Clay Co made firebricksalong with sanitary pipes and terracotta ware from around 1800. At some point in the later 19th century the business was absorbed into the Bristol Fire Clay Company. Photos by Eric Taylor.

Crown Works, Horwich: see Yates, Horwich

Crowther & Hamblet: see John Hamblet (coping bricks)

A B Croxon

Made in Burnham on Crouch, Essex. Photo by David Wallis.

Cudworth

Cudworth Brickworks Ltd., Cudworth, Barnsley, 1890-1945. Located Behind Lindrick Close, Cudworth. It wasn’t connected to coal mining and seems to have been an independent producer. Later in the brickworks' life it was owned by Oakland Brothers who bought a number of Barnsley based brickworks. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Cudworth Junction

The brickworks was located on the south-western flank of Cudworth near Barnsley, South Yorkshire. Listed in trade directories under this name 1897 and 1904. Image PRBCO.

This was photographed at the Chasewater Railway near Lichfield by John Pease.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Culford

This was an estate brickworks belonging to Culford Hall, Suffolk owned by the Benyon family until the Hall was sold in 1889 to George Henry, 5th Lord Cadogan who live there until his death in 1933. I have no trade directories for this works but it is shown on two maps dated 1881 & 1903 with it no longer being shown on a 1950 map. In 1893 Lord Cadogan made many improvements to his house when he turned it into a mansion. In 1901 Henry Warren is recorded as manager of the works & living at Brick Kiln Cottage. Photo by John Bowes & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Culgaith, Cumberland

Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Cumberworth

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Cumberworth Brick & Tile Company was founded by the Wood family. The address in the 1930s was the Cumberworth Brick, Tile & Stone Co Ltd, Shepley, Huddersfield. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.

Found at Thurlstone, S.Yorks by Frank Lawson.

Cunliffe's Kettering

This works was the north-west of the town between the River Slade and the Midland Railway and this is shown on the 1900 map and Kelly's Directory lists a William Cunliffe as a brick manufacturer. Photo and info by Dave Clemo.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Cuthbert

F Cuthbert & Sons Ltd., Greystones, Sheffield. White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1905. Photo and info by Frank Lawson courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Other items on this site that are directly related to the current book.

The Encyclopedia of Texas (Book)

This book provides a biographical view of Texas and its history. The book uses many narratives of the individuals who helped shape Texas history. The book also includes profiles of: the public school system in Texas banking the public school system the State Fair the Cotton Industry oil history and histories of select towns, such as Dallas, Fort Worth, Wichita Falls, Burkburnett, Ellis County, Waco, San Antonio, Galveston, and many others.

Relationship to this item: (Has Format)


Bricks of Ohio Blog (B.O.B)

Bricks may seem as boring and mundane as can be. But not all bricks are created equal. There was a time when Ohio was a brick powerhouse for the state, the nation and the world. Back in the golden era of brick paver making, the kilns of Eastern Ohio were constantly firing to meet the nation’s never-ending hunger for fire bricks and street pavers. From the 1880’s to the late 1930’s billions of bricks found their ways to the streets and buildings far from their rural roots. They don’t make them like this any more…they can’t. The time and expense to craft one of these by hand, glaze them with salt and stamp them is too labor intensive to make sense or cents.

I never thought much of bricks until I started the learn their lost history and came to respect the craftsmanship that made them. Even though billions were laid and paved the majority have been lost to time – buried under layers of asphalt or dumped in landfills and forgotten. These are the stories of my discoveries and how I came to appreciate these heavy hunks of heritage and why I made the time to pull history from the muck.

Attention visitors: If you came to this blog doing a Google search for a brick or block you found – please share with other readers what you found, where you found it and any information or links you find about it. This will help build the Brickpendium of knowledge here.

If you post a question like this: I found ________, how much can I sell it for. I will delete your comment.


American Brick Collection

Brick is one of the oldest and most enduring man-made building materials. Sun-dried mud brick, or adobe, appeared about 10,000 years ago. The earliest kiln-fired or clay-baked brick dates to 3,500 B.C. This marked the first time humans were able to construct permanent fireproof structures without stone.

Since at least 1611, when English brick makers were recruited to Virginia, fired brick has been part of the North American landscape. Tied to the colonial era, brick came to define the nation’s industrial age and remains linked to contemporary notions of the American factory, school, and single-family house. Although once manufactured with incredible variety, brick production today is far more limited because the material is no longer used structurally, but rather as veneer.

The American Brick Collection contains 1,800 bricks, most from the late 19th- and early 20th-century, each stamped with the manufacturer’s name, logo, or hometown. Donor Raymond Chase spent 24 years collecting them. There are examples of decorative, face, fire, paving, pressed, and common bricks from around the nation. All told, the collection weighs around 10,000 pounds.

The American Brick Collection is in storage and not on view. Please check current exhibitions for a list of what is publicly accessible.

Gallery

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Brick Collection, 2013. CItyscapes.

Baltimore Brick Collection, 2006.

4 blocks from the National Mall

Metro
Judiciary Square (Red Line)
Gallery Place-Chinatown (Red/Yellow/Green Lines)

Free access to the Great Hall, Museum Shop,
und Gun Violence Memorial Project


Solway Past History in the borders

You are here: Home Ziegel Ziegel BRICKS FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

BRICKS FROM AROUND THE UK.

STOURBRIDGE

In the midlands an area well known for fireclay.

There was a number of makers in the area.

A brick just stamped Stourbridge

A brick marked Fishers Stourbridge.

TIMMIS & CO LTD

Another Stourbridge company. Founded by the Timmis brothers G H and J A about 1871 they mined clay from under Stourbridge and Amblecote.

RAYAX is a trade mark for firebricks with a high 55 - 60% Aluminium by incorpoating Sillimanite a high content Aluminosilicate mineral.

LONDON BRICK COMPANY. (LBC)

This brick is a minature brick. There is a debate about these small bricks some were used in fireplaces etc. Or were they made as samples for travelling sales men?

PHORPRES refers to the fact the bricks are pressed four times in their production. Originall in presses made by C. Whittaker & Co of Accrington, Lancashire.

Examples of LBC bricks known as Flettons. The numbers refer to the various works and also in cases of double numbers also to the press used.

Flettons are made from Oxford clay which has an unique property in that it contains a high concentration of organic matter which results in the brick almost firing itself in the kiln and so reducing drastically the overall cost of firing and production. Another advantage is the abiltiy to crush it to a fine granular material and it possessed a uniform moisture content which made it suitable for making into bricks by using semi-dry pressing process.

The "Fletton" process was started at Fletton Lodge Estate which was purchased by James McCallum Craig and the bricks made became known as Flettons. A number of companies were involved but over time the London Brick Company dominated the Fletton trade.

The London Brick company was incorporated as the London Brick company Limited in 1900 and adopted the trade mark "PHORPRES" in 1901. The Phorpres name was dropped in 1974.

An LB brick stamped 10. this brick has a very deep frog. The brick is 2.5 inches thick and the frog is 1.5 inches deep.

Manufactured by the North Staffordshire Brick and Tile Co. Ltd, Chesterton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

VITROS would appear to be their trade mark for their typical staffordshire blue engineering brick.

The same type of brick with a 'F' on it.

METALLIC AND METAL BRAND

These were the trade marks of Metallic Tile Co (Rowley Bros) Ltd. at the Metallic tileries in Chesterton, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire. closed in 1977.

J C E stands for J C Edwards who had a brick works at Ruaban, North Wales

A lot of JCE bricks with a number and fraction on it. In this case 31/8 in a very deep frog.

this is the reverse of the top brick with 31/8

Adifferent variation on the 31/8.

RUABON BRICK & TERRA COTTA LTD

A rope topped garden edge.

Ruabon Brick & Terra Cotta Ltd or locally called Jenks Terra Cotta. Founded by the Hague family of Gardden around 1883 and managed by Mr Jenks. Taken over by Dennis in 1960s and closed 1970s.

KETLEY BRICKS

A Staffordshire blue engineering brick.

Made by Ketley Bricks, Dreadnought Works, Dreadnaught Road, Pesnett, Brierly Hill.

(Information from the old brick marks website. )

MARK FAWCETT AND COMPANY.

Mark Fawcett and Company from near London. The Edwardian Patwnt Dow draught Preventing Chimney pot. (The pot is upside down in the picture as being used as a planter.)


Schau das Video: Pflastersteinproduktion


Bemerkungen:

  1. Roddric

    Süss!

  2. Shaktit

    Arbeiten Sie intelligent, nicht bis in die Nacht

  3. Badal

    Entschuldigung dafür, dass ich mir eine ähnliche Situation einmischte. Ich lade zur Diskussion ein.



Eine Nachricht schreiben