Ballard II DD-267 - Geschichte

Ballard II DD-267 - Geschichte


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ballard II

(DD-267: dp. 1215; 1. 314'4"; T. 31'8"; dr. 9'10"; s. 35
k.; Hengstfohlen 122; A. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" TT.; Kl. Clemson)

Der zweite Ballard (DD-267) wurde am 7. Dezember 1918 von Bethlehem Steel Corp., Squantum, Massachusetts, vom Stapel gelassen; gesponsert von Miss Eloise Ballard; in Dienst gestellt 5. Juni 1919, Kommandant Lieutenant Commander h' M. Collier; und der Atlantikflotte gemeldet.

Zwischen Juli 1919 und Juli 1920 fuhr Ballard zu verschiedenen Häfen in Europa und im Mittelmeer. Sie kehrte im Juli 1920 in die Vereinigten Staaten zurück und diente eine Zeit lang bei der Atlantikflotte. Anschließend ging sie in den Pazifik, wo sie eine Musterausbildung durchführte und an Flottenmanövern teilnahm, bis sie am 17. Juni 1922 in San Diego außer Dienst gestellt wurde.

Am 25. Juni 1940 wurde Ballard in Dienst gestellt und zu Union Yard of Bethlehem Steel Corp., San Francisco, geschleppt, um in einen Hilfstender für Wasserflugzeuge umgerüstet zu werden (umklassifiziert AVD 10, 2. August 1940). Sie wurde am 2. Januar 1941 vollständig in Dienst gestellt und an Aircraft, Scouting Force, Pacific Fleet gemeldet.

Mit dem Eintritt der Vereinigten Staaten in den Zweiten Weltkrieg dampfte Ballard nach Pearl Harbor, wo sie am 28. Januar 1942 eintraf. bis November 1943 war sie damit beschäftigt, Patrouillenflugzeuge zu betreuen, Flugzeugbojen zu legen, Konvois zu eskortieren und im gesamten Ostpazifik (Phoenix, Midway, Fidschi, Espiritu Santo, (Guadalcanal Florida und Neukaledonien)) zu patrouillieren. sie schloss Reparaturen am 30. Dezember 1943 ab und fungierte dann bis Mai 1944 als Flugzeugwächterin während der Trägerqualifizierungsoperationen vor San Diego.

Zwischen dem 15. Juni und dem 3. Juli 1944 nahm sie an der Saipan-Operation teil, legte Flugzeugbojen und betreute das erste Patrouillengeschwader, das aus dem Gebiet operierte. Als nächstes führte sie Patrouillenaufgaben während der Besetzung der Palau-Inseln (12. September, 11. Dezember 1944) durch.

Ende Dezember 1944 begann sie in Seattle eine weitere Yard-Periode in den USA. Nach Abschluss der Reparaturen wurde sie erneut der Flugzeugwache zugeteilt und operierte bis zum 1. Oktober 1945 von San Diego aus. Ballard traf am 26. Oktober 1945 in Philadelphia ein, um mit der Überholung vor der Inaktivierung zu beginnen. Sie wurde am 5. Dezember 1946 außer Dienst gestellt und am 23. Mai 1946 verkauft.

Ballard erhielt zwei Kampfsterne für ihre Dienste im Zweiten Weltkrieg.


US-Schiffswrack aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg, das in der philippinischen See entdeckt wurde, ist das tiefste, das jemals gefunden wurde

Das Wrack eines US-Zerstörers aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde gefunden. Ein Forschungsteam entdeckte das versunkene Schiff über 20.000 Fuß unter der Oberfläche des philippinischen Meeres. Experten gehen davon aus, dass es sich um die USS Johnston handelt, die nach einer Schlacht mit japanischen Streitkräften gesunken ist.

Das tiefste jemals entdeckte versunkene Schiffswrack wurde in der philippinischen See gefunden, teilten Forscher am Mittwoch mit.

Das Wrack des US-Zerstörers aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde von Experten auf dem Forschungsschiff Petrel in einer Tiefe von 20.406 Fuß gefunden. Forscher verwendeten eine Unterwasserdrohne, um das mysteriöse Schiff zu lokalisieren, bei dem es sich vermutlich um die USS Johnston handelt, einen Zerstörer der Fletcher-Klasse, der während der Schlacht vor Samar, einer Schlüsselaktion in der Schlacht am Golf von Leyte im Jahr 1944, versenkt wurde zeigt das verstümmelte Wrack des auf dem Meeresboden liegenden Schiffes.

Research Vessel Petrel (R/V Petrel) ist Teil von Vulcan Inc., einer Forschungsorganisation, die vom verstorbenen Microsoft-Mitbegründer Paul Allen gegründet wurde.

Experten gehen davon aus, dass es sich bei dem Schiff eher um die USS Johnston als um die USS Hoel handelt, einen weiteren Zerstörer, der in der Schlacht vor Samar sank.

Das Wrack des US-Zerstörers aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde in der philippinischen See gefunden. (Vulcan Inc.)

"Wir glauben, dass es sich bei diesem Wrack um das Wrack der USS Johnston DD-557 handelt", sagte Robert Kraft, Direktor für Unterwasseroperationen bei Vulcan, in einer Erklärung. "Es gibt keine Beweise für die Blendungslackierung, die auf die USS Hoel hinweist, und ihre Position deutet darauf hin, dass dieses Wrack später in der Schlacht nach dem Verlust der Hoel sank."

Die USS Johnston sank am 25. Oktober 1944 nach einem erbitterten Kampf mit japanischen Streitkräften, für den sie die Presidential Unit Citation erhielt. Von den 341 Besatzungsmitgliedern des Schiffes überlebten nach Angaben des Naval History and Heritage Command nur 141. „Von den 186 Verlorenen wurden etwa 50 durch feindliche Aktionen getötet, 45 starben auf Flößen an Kampfverletzungen und 92, darunter [Commander Ernest] Evans, waren nach dem Untergang von Johnston noch lebend im Wasser, wurden aber nie wieder gehört“, erklärt der Naval History and Heritage Command, auf seiner Website.

Das Erkundungsteam von R/V Petrel hofft, dass die Entdeckung des Schiffes den Familien der Matrosen, die auf der USS Johnston ihr Leben ließen, ein gewisses Gefühl der Schließung bringt.

Es wird angenommen, dass es sich bei dem Schiff um die USS Johnston handelt, einen Zerstörer der Fletcher-Klasse, der während der Schlacht vor Samar versenkt wurde. (Vulcan Inc.)

RV Petrel ist kein Unbekannter in der Entdeckung von Schiffswracks. Anfang des Jahres entdeckten Experten des Forschungsschiffs beispielsweise das Wrack des Flugzeugträgers USS Wasp aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg im Korallenmeer, mehr als 70 Jahre nachdem das Schiff während der Guadalcanal-Kampagne versenkt wurde.

Ebenfalls im Jahr 2019 entdeckten Forscher an Bord der RV Petrel eines der ersten japanischen Schlachtschiffe, das während des Zweiten Weltkriegs von US-Streitkräften versenkt wurde. Das Schiff Hiei der kaiserlichen japanischen Marine sank am 14. November 1942 auf den Salomonen.

Das Wrack wurde in einer Tiefe von 20.406 Fuß gefunden. (Vulcan Inc.)

Paul Allen starb im Oktober 2018 an den Folgen eines Non-Hodgkin-Lymphoms. Seine Forschungsorganisation hat eine Vielzahl historischer militärischer Schiffswracks entdeckt, darunter die Wracks der USS Helena, USS Lexington und USS Juneau.

Das Schiffswrack ist das tiefste, das jemals entdeckt wurde, sagen Forscher. (Vulcan Inc.)

Die größte Entdeckung der Gruppe kam jedoch 2017, als Allen und sein Team das lange verschollene Wrack der USS Indianapolis im philippinischen Meer fanden.

Bradford Betz von Fox News und Associated Press haben zu diesem Artikel beigetragen.


An: Task Force 67

Wir glauben, dass der Feind zweifellos eine vernichtende Niederlage erlitten hat. Wir danken Admiral Kinkaid für seine gestrige Intervention. Wir danken Lee für seinen starken Einsatz letzte Nacht. Unser eigenes Flugzeug war großartig in seinem unerbittlichen Hämmern auf den Feind. All diese Bemühungen werden geschätzt, aber unsere größte Ehrerbietung gilt Callaghan, Scott und ihren Männern, die mit großartigem Mut gegen scheinbar aussichtslose Widrigkeiten den ersten feindlichen Angriff zurückdrängten und den Weg für den folgenden Erfolg ebneten. Zu ihnen heben die Männer von Cactus in tiefster Bewunderung ihre ramponierten Helme.

ALEXANDER A. VANDEGRIFT
General, US-Marines

Barton verließ New York am 23. August, eskortieren Washington (BB 56) mit Nikolaus und Meade, passierte am 27. August den Panamakanal und erreichte am 13. September Tongatabu, Tonga-Inseln. Der Task Force 17 mit DesRon 2 zugewiesen, (Sims-Klasse Zerstörer Morris, Anderson, Hughes, Mustin und Russell), hat sie Flugzeugträger durchleuchtet Hornisse (CV 8) in einem abgebrochenen Überfall auf Buin, Faisi und Tonolai auf den Shortland Islands, 5. Oktober. Sie war immer noch ein Teil von Hornisse&rsquos-Eskorte während der Schlacht um die Santa-Cruz-Inseln, 26. Oktober, wenn Hornisse war verloren.

Barton&rsquos Opfer in der Schlacht von Guadalcanal.

Quelle: Unfallbericht des Bureau of Personnel, NARA .

Am 29. Oktober rettete sie siebzehn Überlebende zweier abgestürzter Lufttransportflugzeuge in der Nähe der Insel Fabre.

Am 12. November 1942, Barton half, Transporte in den Ironbottom Sound von Guadalcanal zu eskortieren. Nach Mitternacht war sie 11. in der Reihe von fünf Kreuzern und sieben anderen Zerstörern (DesRon 12&rsquos .). Aaron Ward, Laffey und Monssen plus Vergolder Cushing und Sterette und 2.100-Tonner O&rsquoBannon und Fletcher) als Konteradmiral Daniel J. Callaghan &rsquos Task Group 67.4 eine viel stärkere japanische Streitmacht unter der Führung von Schlachtschiffen abfing Hiei und Kirishima.

ZU DENKEN, DIE IN DER SCHLACHT VON GUADALCANAL . GEKÄMPFT HABEN
13. NOVEMBER&ndash15, 1942

An die hervorragenden Offiziere und Männer zu Wasser, zu Lande, in der Luft und unter Wasser, die in den letzten fünf Tagen so großartige Leistungen für unser Land vollbracht haben. Sie haben die unsterbliche Dankbarkeit Ihres Landes gewonnen und unsere Namen in goldenen Buchstaben auf die Seiten der Geschichte geschrieben. Keine Ehre für dich könnte zu groß sein, mein Stolz auf dich ist unbeschreiblich. Großartig gemacht. Möge Gott jeden einzelnen von Ihnen segnen. Den glorreichen Toten, sei gegrüßt, Helden und möge ihr alle bei Gott ruhen.

WILLIAM F. HALSEY
Admiral, US-Marine

In dieser ersten Seeschlacht von Guadalcanal, Barton feuerte vier Torpedos ab, bevor er vollständig zurückging, um eine Kollision zu vermeiden. Zwei Torpedos eines feindlichen Zerstörers trafen sie, bevor sie wieder in Gang kommen konnte - in ihrem vorderen Feuerraum und der andere fast sofort in ihrem vorderen Maschinenraum.

Barton brach schnell in zwei Teile und sank mit dem Verlust des größten Teils ihrer Besatzung, einschließlich LCdr. Fuchs. Nur 42 Überlebende wurden später von einem schweren Kreuzer aufgenommen Portland (CA 33) andere wurden von Higgins-Booten aus Guadalcanal gerettet.

1992 fand eine Expedition unter der Leitung von Dr. Robert Ballard Barton&rsquos Bug südöstlich von Savo Island, ruht auf seiner Backbordseite in mehr als 2.000 Fuß Wasser, wobei beide vorderen 5-Zoll-Geschütze immer noch auf Backbord ausgerichtet sind. Das Heck des Schiffes wurde nicht entdeckt.

Barton verdiente in ihren weniger als zwei Monaten auf den Salomonen vier Kampfsterne.


Gefährliche Tortur vor Leyte

Wenn die USS Reid (DD-369) sank während eines Kamikaze-Angriffs, während sie einen Nachschubkonvoi eskortierte, und nahm die Hälfte ihrer Besatzung mit. Für viele der Männer an Bord der Schiffe und Eskorten des Konvois war der Angriff in Ormoc Bay auf den Philippinen der erste Kontakt mit dem Feind und es war eine schnelle, wütende und tödliche Feuertaufe. Doch das Ende des Reid war der Beginn einer Geschichte von Loyalität, Einfallsreichtum und Pflichterfüllung und wie die Überlebenden des Zerstörers von unwahrscheinlichen Sandkratzern gerettet wurden.

Die Alliierten hatten bereits im Oktober und November 1944 die Ostseite von Leyte eingenommen, aber Tausende Japaner blieben in den Hügeln und Bergen der Insel eingegraben. Um die Übernahme abzuschließen, landete die Marine am 7. Dezember die 77. Infanteriedivision der US-Armee in der Nähe der Stadt Ormoc auf der Westseite der Insel. Innerhalb von 48 Stunden machte ein Nachschubkonvoi ohne Zwischenfälle eine Hin- und Rückfahrt vom Golf von Leyte nach Ormoc Bay. Unterdessen verlegten die Japaner, die entschlossen waren, Leyte zu halten, mehr als 30.000 Soldaten von anderen nahe gelegenen Inseln dorthin.

Am 11. Dezember hat die Mahan-Klasse Reid, ein Überlebender des Angriffs auf Pearl Harbor, und fünf weitere Zerstörer eskortierten die acht LSMs (Landing Ships, Medium) und fünf LCI(L)s (Landing Ships, Infantry, Large) der zweiten Versorgungsstufe um die Südspitze von Leyte und in die Ormoc-Bucht. Um 17.00 Uhr, während sie 12 Knoten machten, griffen japanische Jäger und Torpedobomber von Nordwesten an und kamen tief vor dem Hintergrund der Berge von Leyte herein. Die Berichte über die Anzahl der Flugzeuge variieren von 10 bis 13, aber es ist sicher, dass die Luftdeckung des Konvois von nur vier F4U Corsairs alle Hände voll zu tun hatte. Sofort brachen sieben der A6M5 Typ 0 „Zeke“-Jäger durch und steuerten auf das nächste Schiff zu – das Reid, die sich vor dem Steuerbord-Bug des Konvois befand.

Die Matrosen waren in den letzten Tagen so oft in Generalquartieren gewesen, dass viele von ihnen auf ihren Kampfstationen blieben und sogar schliefen, sodass die Geschütze des Konvois innerhalb von Sekunden nach Sichtung der Flugzeuge das Feuer eröffneten. Die Reid drehte sich nach Backbord, um mehr Geschütze zum Einsatz zu bringen, und ihre vordere 5-Zoll-Batterie schoss zwei Jäger ab. Eine weitere explodierte etwa 500 Meter von ihrem Steuerbordstrahl entfernt. Ein vierter Kämpfer, beschädigt und anscheinend in einem Kamikaze-Tauchgang, hakte einen Flügel im Reids vordere Steuerbord Takelage und stürzte an der Wasserlinie ab. Die Explosion seiner Bombe öffnete einige Nähte des Zerstörers. Ein fünfter Zeke stürzte in die Reid's Backbord Bug.

Der tödliche Schlag erfolgte weniger als eine Minute nach Beginn des Angriffs. Ein Zeke kam von achtern, wurde von 20-mm-Feuer des nächsten Schiffes in Formation getroffen, LSM-42, und spie Rauch aus, als sein Pilot auf den hinteren Schornstein des Zerstörers zusteuerte. Der Jäger stürzte in Flammen in ihr Hafenviertel, seine Bombe explodierte im Reid's nach dem Magazin und schneidet das Schiff fast in zwei Hälften. Der Zerstörer schlingerte heftig um 60 Grad nach Steuerbord, zurück auf 30, dann wieder auf 90 Grad. Sie hatte 20 Knoten gemacht, als ihr Gashebel klemmte, und während das Schiff sank, machte sie einige Fortschritte und kettete ihre Toten und Verwundeten 300 Meter weit ins Meer. LSM-42 musste zurückweichen, um ihnen auszuweichen und die Reid. Feindliche Flugzeuge beschossen unterdessen die Männer im Wasser.

Reid Feuerwehrmann erster Klasse Arthur Anderson blieb an seinem Maschinengewehr, hüfttief im Meerwasser, und hielt ein effektives Feuer aufrecht, bis es zu spät war, um sich selbst zu retten. Alfred Howard Akers Jr., Mate Third Class des Elektrikers, befand sich in seiner Kampfstation, dem Steuermotorraum, und Wasser strömte durch seine Notluke. Er gab die Chance auf, sich zu retten, als er einem verwundeten Schiffskameraden durch die Luke in Sicherheit half. Sowohl Akers als auch Anderson erhielten posthum das Navy Cross für ihre Opfer und gehörten zu den 103 der 268 Besatzungsmitglieder, die mit der Reid untergingen. Als sie kippte, ergoss sich Wasser in ihre Stapel, und sie ging weniger als zwei Minuten nach der tödlichen Kamikaze-Explosion am Heck zu Boden.

Rettung der Überlebenden

Nach nur vier Monaten auf See, LSM-42's Crew wurde einer dramatischen Rettung ausgesetzt, während um sie herum der Kampf tobte. Als die 42. linke Formation zur Rettung der ReidÜberlebenden überflog sie das versunkene Schiff, und eine gewaltige Explosion brach aus dem Zerstörer aus, hob das Heck der LSM aus dem Wasser, warf ihre Kompasse aus den Ferngläsern, setzte den Kreiselkompass außer Betrieb und riss mehrere Leitungen im Maschinenraum.

Verglichen mit schlanken Zerstörern, die vor Kanonen strotzten, sah das Landungsschiff alles andere als heroisch aus, mit seinem hohen Profil und seinem guten Deck voller medizinischer Vorräte, Rationen, Munition und Fahrzeugen. Was auch immer ihre Mängel waren, die LSM war sehr manövrierfähig, und die 42 rutschte zwischen den Überlebenden ab, öffnete ihre Bugtüren und senkte die Laderampe, während ihre Besatzungsmitglieder den im Wasser kämpfenden Matrosen Ermutigung zuschrieen. LCI(L)s548 und 661 und LSMs 38 und 39 holten auch Überlebende aus dem Meer, zusammen mit zwei Leichen. LSM-42 zog vier Offiziere und Dutzende von Mannschaften ein, darunter vier Tragekoffer. Etwa 25 Fuß über dem Wasser konnte Cecil Ray Johnston, Mate Second Class des Motor Machinist, der den Bugtürmotor der LSM bediente, nur zusehen, wie sich ein schwer verwundeter Mann schwach an ein Rettungsfloß klammerte. „Er schrie immer wieder um Hilfe“, schrieb Johnston später. "Aber als ich ihn beobachtete, gaben seine Hände allmählich nach und er ging langsam zu Boden."

LSM-42 musste noch ihre Nachschubmission erfüllen. LCI(L)-661 transportierte sieben weitere Tragekoffer auf die 42, während das Landungsschiff mit acht Knoten dampfte, um sich wieder dem Konvoi anzuschließen. Ihre Crew gab den Geretteten trockene Kleidung und Kojen, die bald mit Blut und Dieselöl durchtränkt waren. Die Verbrennungen, Knochenbrüche und Schrapnellwunden der Überlebenden wurden von Elwood „Doc“ Martin des 42. Korallen, die Reiddes Amtsarztes.

Nach Einbruch der Dunkelheit, LSM-42 und die anderen LSMs und LCIs kamen am Strand von Ipil an Land, um ihre Ladung mit Nachschub und Verstärkung abzuliefern. Der Feind war nahe genug, dass Granaten im Umkreis von 1.000 Metern um den Strand platzten. Amerikanische Batterien und die eskortierenden Zerstörer feuerten auf feindliche Stellungen und engagierten einen japanischen Transporter, der versuchte, in der Nähe von Ormoc am Ufer zu landen.

Um 0400 sind alle Reid Überlebende der anderen Schiffe schlossen sich den an Bord an LSM-42, was die Gesamtzahl auf weit über 100 erhöht. Dann, mit den gelieferten Ormoc-Vorräten und Verstärkungen, wurde den Schiffen des Konvois befohlen, sich zu reformieren, bevor sie zur Basis in der San Pedro Bay im Golf von Leyte zurückkehren. LSM-42, hatte sich jedoch auf einem versunkenen japanischen Lastkahn verfangen. So begann eine Reihe von Missgeschicken, die jedes bisschen Mut und Kreativität der 42-Mannschaft erforderten.

Erste Etappe der Rückreise

LSM-316 steckte auch am Strand fest, und LSM-267Der Heckankermotor, der benötigt wurde, um sie vom Ufer zu ziehen, sprang nicht an. Als es endlich repariert wurde, war die Flut so niedrig, dass sie feststeckte. Die Zeit war entscheidend, da der anbrechende Tag mit Sicherheit weitere feindliche Luftangriffe bringen würde. Jedes Pfund zählte beim Versuch, den Bug der Schiffe zu heben, so dass Ballast und Tausende von Gallonen zusätzlichen Treibstoffs abgeladen und Munition und Männer nach achtern geschickt wurden. Von den drei festgefahrenen Schiffen konnte nur die 316 den Strand verlassen.

Sie versuchte, die 267 abzuschleppen, wobei Bulldozer und Panzer gegen die Bugtüren drückten, aber das Schiff rührte sich nicht. Die 316 versuchte als nächstes, die 42 vom Strand zu ziehen. Gerade als sie sich von dem versunkenen Lastkahn befreite, löste sich das Schleppseil, und die 42 konnte nicht rechtzeitig anhalten, um ein Rückwärtsfahren zu vermeiden, wodurch die sieben-Zoll-Festmacherleine in ihren beiden Schrauben verschmutzt wurde.

Etwa 110 Mannschaften und 8 Offiziere aus dem Reid wurden dann nach versetzt LSM-316 die elf schwersten Verwundeten, Corales, und ein weiterer Offizier blieben an Bord der 42. As LSM-316 beeilte sich, sich wieder dem Konvoi anzuschließen, LSM-42 dampfte langsam vom Strand weg und konnte wegen des Seils, das sich in ihren Schäften verhedderte, nur etwa sieben Knoten machen. Aber sie war das Flaggschiff eines Mannes der Tat, Lieutenant Commander Everett E. Weire, Kommandant der LSM Group Six, Flottille 2 und früherer Kommandant von LST-460. Er hatte nicht vor, das langsame Tempo lange auszuhalten, und nach einer Stunde befahl er dem Schiff, anzuhalten.

Mit einer improvisierten Tauchermaske tauchte er in Begleitung von Fähnrich J. W. Lawrence unter das Schiff und schnitt die verschmutzten Leinen von der Steuerbordschraube ab. Die 42 fuhren dann weiter nach Süden zum Baybay Harbor, wo die restlichen Überlebenden der Reid in das 71. Medical Battalion Field Hospital der 7. US-Infanteriedivision verlegt wurden. In Baybay ging Weire zusammen mit drei Fähnrichen über die Seite und schnitt die Leinen von der Portschraube der 42. Inzwischen, LSM-267 war mit der steigenden Flut vom Strand von Ipil getrieben und zu ihrem Schwesterschiff zurückgekehrt. In diesen gefährlichen Gewässern waren die Männer an Bord beider LSMs dankbar für Gesellschaft und zusätzliche Feuerkraft.

Die 42 und die 267 waren in Küstennähe vor Anker gegangen, um auf den Schutz der Dunkelheit zu warten, bevor sie weiterfahren. Aber sie erhielten vom Strand die Nachricht, dass sie sich in der Nähe eines philippinischen Guerilla-Stützpunkts befanden, der jeden Tag gegen 15:30 Uhr von den Japanern bombardiert wurde, und die LSMs wurden angewiesen, weiterzuziehen. Für die beiden Schiffe, die um 1415 in Richtung San Pedro Bay aufbrachen, würde es keine Ruhe geben. Sie würden die nächsten 24 Stunden damit verbringen, Strände zu umarmen, um nicht entdeckt zu werden, feindliche Flugzeuge abzuwehren und Verwundete und beschädigte Ausrüstung zu versorgen.

Zwei einladende Ziele

Gegen 14:30 Uhr tauchten japanische Aufklärungsflugzeuge und Jäger über ihnen auf, und die beiden Schiffe, die in einem Tarnmuster in Grüntönen mit Schwarz bemalt waren, schalteten Motoren aus und trieben in der Hoffnung, sie würden sich in die nahegelegene Küste einfügen. Es funktionierte. Aber um 17.00 Uhr erschienen acht feindliche Jäger, darunter Zekes, Ki-44 „Tojos“ und Ki-43 „Oscars“ und kreisten, um von Backbord und Steuerbord anzugreifen. Dann, so Mate Johnston vom Motor Machinist, „brach die Hölle los“. Die LSMs öffneten sich mit all ihren Geschützen – 40-mm-, 20-mm- und .50-Kaliber. Sie manövrierten radikal so nah wie möglich an der Küste und lieferten sich einen brutalen Kampf gegen die bombardierenden und beschießenden feindlichen Flugzeuge, aber die Landungsschiffe waren den Jägern nicht gewachsen. Glücklicherweise übermittelte ein Zerstörer auf Patrouille seinen Notruf, und fünf Minuten später jagten zwei P-38 Lightning-Jäger die feindlichen Flugzeuge über die Berge.

Als es vorbei war, hatten die Schiffe 2.400 40-mm- und 20-mm-Patronen verbraucht und jedes Schiff hatte sieben Männer verletzt, alle bis auf einen durch Granatsplitter (ein Matrose stürzte von der Bugkanonenwanne der 42 auf das darunterliegende Deck und brach sich ein Handgelenk). . Während die 42 leichte Schäden erlitten, wurden die Verbindung und die Brücke der 267 zerstört und ihr Radar, ihr Funkgerät und ihre elektrische Lenkung waren ausgefallen. Ihr leitender Offizier übernahm das Ruder in der Notsteuerung achtern. Schrapnelle von Beinaheunfällen von Mehrzweckbomben hatten den Steuerbordrumpf der 267 an mehr als hundert Stellen durchschlagen, und ihr Steuerbordmotor war ausgefallen. Mit nur einem funktionierenden Motor würde das Schiff nicht mehr als fünf Knoten schaffen.

Um die Tarnung der Schiffe zu nutzen, befahl Commander Weire ihnen, an einem Korallenriff eine Meile südöstlich von Green Point zu stranden. Dort, bei geöffneten Bugtüren und heruntergelassenen Rampen, mühten sich die Matrosen ab, die Tragekoffer in Flöße zu verladen und eine halbe Meile entfernt an Land zu bringen. Andere schwammen und wateten zum Strand und beobachteten den Himmel mit ihren losgebundenen Schwimmwesten, bereit, aus ihnen herauszuschlüpfen und unter Wasser zu tauchen, um dem Tiefflug zu entgehen, wenn der Feind zurückkehrte. Johnston schrieb später: "Es war der längste Spaziergang, den ich je gemacht habe." Rund 110 Männer verbrachten einen heißen, beängstigenden Abend am Strand und warteten auf den Sonnenuntergang. Eine Krankenstation wurde eingerichtet und alle mit Erste-Hilfe-Kenntnissen halfen mit. Dennoch starb Yeoman Third Class Ernest L. Sigismondi der 267 an seinen schweren Verletzungen.

Trips letzte frustrierende Etappe

Um 22.00 Uhr waren beide Besatzungen zu den Schiffen zurückgekehrt, und alle Verwundeten waren an Bord der seetüchtigeren 42 gebracht worden Reids Überlebenden und kümmerte sich nun um die Verluste eines Schwesterschiffs sowie um ihre eigenen.

Die Schiffe wurden verdunkelt bestellt, was bedeutete, dass die Löcher in der 267 gestopft werden mussten. Als ihr Vorrat an Holzsteckern aufgebraucht war, benutzten die Besatzungsmitglieder Holzreste, Hemden und alles andere, was sie finden konnten. Zu allem Überfluss war die Kraftstoffförderpumpe des 267 ausgefallen, und die Männer mussten eine Eimerbrigade bilden, um das Heizöl in die Tagestanks umzufüllen. In den dunklen, engen Gängen war das eine fast unmögliche Aufgabe.

Die 267 war zum Abschleppen aufgerüstet, aber das Radar der 42 nahm sofort ein Aufklärungsflugzeug auf, das über ihnen kreiste. Aus Angst vor einem weiteren Angriff befahl Weire, das Schleppkabel abzuwerfen. Die Bedrohung ging vorüber, aber eine Stunde später kollidierte die 267, die nur über einen Motor verfügte und von Unterdeck aus gesteuert wurde, mit der 42, stieß Verwundete aus ihren Kojen und riss ein 13-Fuß-Loch durch ihren Rumpf und in die Krankenstation von zwei Zoll über der Wasserlinie bis zum Aufbaudeck. Die Männer mühten sich, das Wasser, das durch die Öffnung schwappte, herauszupumpen und das Loch mit Matratzen und Verstrebungen zu füllen. Die Kollision unterbrach die Strom- und Frischwasserleitungen der 42 und blockierte zwei Luken, wodurch die vorderen Backbordabteile unzugänglich wurden. Es war eine Sache nach der anderen, und bei immer schlechter werdenden Bedingungen blieb nichts anderes übrig, als weiter auf Port zu drängen.

In den frühen Morgenstunden des 13. Dezember versuchten die beiden Schiffe immer wieder, zum Abschleppen aufzuriggen, doch in der Dunkelheit war es unmöglich, die verkrüppelte 267 in Position zu bringen. Um 08.00 Uhr, als sie sich der Ostseite der Leyte näherten und es endlich wieder bergauf ging, ging der verbleibende Motor der 267 aus. Verwunderte Ingenieure entschieden, dass es wahrscheinlich daran lag, dass das aus dem Eimer gelieferte Öl nicht durch den Reiniger gelangte und Verunreinigungen den Motor verschmutzten. Glücklicherweise erlaubte das Tageslicht den Besatzungsmitgliedern, zum Abschleppen aufzurüsten. Sicher, dachten sie, kann nichts mehr schiefgehen.

Aber gerade als die Schiffe in Fahrt kamen, brach die Schleppleine. Es blieb nur noch, die 267 längsseits festzumachen, und so humpelten die beiden unerschrockenen Landungsschiffe – die 267 wie ein verwundeter Krieger, der sich an einen erschöpften Kumpel lehnt – mit behäbigen sechs Knoten auf den letzten 30 Meilen dahin. Es war eine süße Erleichterung, als sie um 15:30 Uhr in der Bucht von San Pedro vor Anker gingen und LCIs herauskamen, um die Verwundeten auf das Lazarettschiff zu bringen Großzügig (AH-9). Es war zwei Tage her, seit die Matrosen der LSM-42 und LSM-267 mehr als ein paar Minuten geschlafen oder eine volle Ration bekommen hatte.

Das war nicht das letzte Mal, dass sich die Männer der beiden Amphibien begegneten. Die 267 wurde wieder in Dienst gestellt und sechs Monate später wurde sie mit der 42 wieder vereint und übte Seite an Seite auf der teilweise befreiten Insel Morotai. Dort bereiteten sich die alliierten Streitkräfte mit Unterstützung der US-Marine- und Luftstreitkräfte auf die letzte große amphibische Operation des Krieges, Borneos Balikpapan, vor, wo Australier den Kampf führten.

Die „Sandkratzer“ der Marine

Eine der Handlungsstränge des Pazifikkrieges war die Suche nach dem perfekten Weg, um viele Menschen und Maschinen an Sandstrände zu bringen. Jeder Typ von Landungsschiffen – von kleinen Booten wie dem LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle and Personal) über das LCI (Landing Craft, Infantry) bis zum LCT (Landing Craft, Tank) – hatte Vor- und Nachteile. Es bestand ein klarer Bedarf an einem gut bewaffneten, hochseetüchtigen Schiff mit großer Kapazität, das Menschen, Maschinen oder Vorräte befördern und bis zu den Pazifikstränden fahren und wieder aussteigen konnte. Gegen Ende des Krieges trugen frühere Entwürfe zur Entwicklung eines völlig neuen Schiffes bei, genau in der richtigen Größe und mit genau den richtigen Funktionen.

Die erste LSM (Landing Ship, Medium) wurde im April 1944 fertiggestellt. Bald produzierten sechs Werften eine pro Monat. Mehr als 550 von ihnen wurden in etwas mehr als einem Jahr vom Stapel gelassen, jeder mit etwa 55 Mannschaften und Offizieren, die schnell, aber gründlich ausgebildet wurden. Die Besatzungen waren eng verbunden, als Mannschaften und Offiziere ihre Ausbildung gemeinsam in Little Creek, Virginia, beendeten.

Sie bestiegen ein Schiff voller Design-Innovationen. Im hohen Bug befanden sich Türen ähnlich denen der LST (Landing Ship, Tank), die sich öffneten und eine Laderampe freilegten, auf der Jeeps, Trucks und Tanks direkt vom Schiffsbrunnendeck in den Sand fahren konnten. LSMs waren sehr manövrierfähig und fanden ihren Weg an überfüllte Küsten inmitten von Wracks und Riffen, und ihr flacher Boden rutschte über Sandbänke und Strände, was den Spitznamen "Sandkratzer" einbrachte, da die Schiffe beim Beladen nur zwei Meter tief am Bug zogen. Als sich eine LSM einem Strand näherte, wurde der Heckanker, ein vom LCI übernommenes Merkmal, fallen gelassen und die Kette ausgespielt, was ihr half, direkt in den Strand zu gelangen. Als das Schiff zum Rückzug bereit war, wurde der Heckanker eingezogen, wodurch das Schiff effektiv vom Strand zurückgezogen wurde.

Natürlich sorgte der flache Boden auch für eine raue Fahrt, wenn die Wellen schlugen, dennoch gehörten LSMs zu den stabilsten Schiffen auf dem Wasser. Sie hatten einen niedrigen Schwerpunkt und einen hohen Auftriebsschwerpunkt, was ihnen eine Snap-Roll von etwa vier Sekunden von ganz Steuerbord nach ganz Backbord und zurück ermöglichte.

Darüber hinaus wurden die meisten von zwei Fairbanks-Morse-Dieselmotoren angetrieben, die größer waren als die, die LSTs antrieben, und eine Höchstgeschwindigkeit von mehr als 13 Knoten erreichten. Die LSM hatte eine Reichweite von 4.900 Meilen. Etwas mehr als 200 Fuß lang und mit einer Breite von 35 Fuß konnte sie fünf mittlere oder drei schwere Panzer oder sechs Kettenlandefahrzeuge tragen. Und das offene Welldeck der LSM machte sie für die Verladung von Hand oder Derrick geeignet. Es gab sogar ein paar Kojen für eine Landungstruppe.

Die ersten LSMs waren mit sechs 20-mm-Geschützen bewaffnet, und es war sofort klar, dass der Bogen viel mehr Muskelkraft benötigte. Ein paar, darunter LSM-42, hatte einen einzigen 40-mm am Bug, aber die meisten rühmten sich mit 40-mm-Zwillingen. Die großen Geschütze konnten nicht so trainiert werden, dass sie kleine Schiffe abwehren konnten, daher fügten einige Besatzungen Maschinengewehre des Kalibers .50 hinzu. Quartiermeister 2. Klasse Edward W. Keenneweg of LSM-42 sah sich eines Tages im Hafen um und bemerkte ein Paar Kaliber .50-Kanonen an zerstörten Armeefahrzeugen, er tauschte Vorräte für sie ein, und die Waffen wurden bald auf der 42, vor den 20-mm-Geschützwannen. Die tapferen Männer, die sie bemannten, machten sich keine Sorgen darüber, dass sie keine Schilde hatten. Etwa 40 LSMs wurden als dedizierte Raketenstartplattformen mit der Bezeichnung LSM(R)s ausgestattet. Mit einem Deck voller kontinuierlich ladender 5-Zoll-Raketenwerfer brachten sie spätere Invasionen, einschließlich Iwo Jima, eine beeindruckende Feuerkraft.

Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg segelten LSMs monatelang in den Gewässern des Westpazifiks, transportierten Gefangene beider Seiten und kehrten vertriebene Zivilisten nach Hause zurück. Einige LSMs dienten später im Koreakrieg und einige wurden in anderen Operationen eingesetzt, wobei die letzte im Marinedienst 1965 außer Dienst gestellt wurde. Einige hatten ein langes Leben als Händler und Bergungsschiffe. Sie wurden entwickelt, um unter vielen anderen Landungsbooten im Zweiten Weltkrieg einen besonderen Platz einzunehmen. Und doch ist ihre Rolle nie veraltet, da sie in der heutigen US-Marine von einer neuen Generation technologisch fortschrittlicher Amphibien-Angriffsschiffe ausgefüllt wird.

Aktionsbericht: „Betrieb der Ormoc Bay Resupply Unit (Second Echelon), LSM-42, 15. Dezember 1944“, RG 38, National Archives and Records Administration (im Folgenden NARA), College Park, MD.

Aktionsbericht: „Zweiter Nachschub Echelon, Ormoc Bay, Leyte Island, LSM-267, 16. Dezember 1944“, RG 38, NARA.

Autoreninterviews mit S2C Estel Hamilton, LSM-42, und MMM2C Cecil Ray Johnston, LSM-42, und Korrespondenz vom 26. September 1986 mit F1C Kenneth G. Schoening, dem Reid.

Richard Henry Corales-Eintrag, WW2 Awards.com, http://en.ww2awards.com/person/45374.

Robert J. Cressmann, Die offizielle Chronologie der United States Navy im Zweiten Weltkrieg (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 2000).

Die Reise der LSM 267, zusammengestellt und veröffentlicht von der Crew von LSM-267.

Deckprotokolle, LSM-38, LSM-39, LSM-42, LSM-316, Buchse (DD-529), RG 38, NARA.

Rolf F. Illsley, LSM-LSMR: Amphibische Streitkräfte des Zweiten Weltkriegs (Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 1994).

„Leyte: The US Army Campaigns of World War II“, http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/leyte/leyte.htm.

Samuel Eliot Morison, Leyte: Juni 1944–Januar 1945, Bd. 12, Geschichte der Marineoperationen der Vereinigten Staaten im Zweiten Weltkrieg (Boston: Little, Brown, 1958).

USS Reid 369, www.ussreid369.org.

Robin L. Rielly, Kamikaze-Angriffe des Zweiten Weltkriegs: Eine vollständige Geschichte japanischer Selbstmordangriffe auf amerikanische Schiffe mit Flugzeugen und anderen Mitteln (Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2010).


Protokolle der Weisen von Zion

Unsere Redakteure prüfen, was Sie eingereicht haben, und entscheiden, ob der Artikel überarbeitet werden soll.

Protokolle der Weisen von Zion, auch genannt Protokolle der Gelehrten von Zion, betrügerisches Dokument, das vor allem im frühen 20. Jahrhundert als Vorwand und Begründung für Antisemitismus diente. Das Dokument soll ein Bericht über eine Reihe von 24 (in anderen Versionen 27) Treffen sein, die 1897 zur Zeit des ersten Zionistenkongresses in Basel, Schweiz, abgehalten wurden. Dort sollen Juden und Freimaurer Pläne geschmiedet haben, die christliche Zivilisation zu zerstören und einen Weltstaat unter ihrer gemeinsamen Herrschaft zu errichten. Liberalismus und Sozialismus sollten die Mittel sein, die Christenheit zu untergraben, wenn die Unterwanderung scheiterte, sollten alle Hauptstädte Europas sabotiert werden.

Die Protokolle wurden in Russland in Kurzform 1903 in der Zeitung abgedruckt Znamia („Banner“) und später (1905) als Nachtrag zu einem religiösen Traktat von Serge Nilus, einem zaristischen Beamten. Sie wurden ins Deutsche, Französische, Englische und andere europäische Sprachen übersetzt und wurden bald zu einem Klassiker der antisemitischen Literatur. In der Privatzeitung von Henry Ford Dearborn unabhängig, zitierte sie oft als Beweis für eine jüdische Bedrohung.

Der unechte Charakter der Protokolle wurde erstmals 1921 von Philip Graves of Die Zeiten (London), die ihre offensichtliche Ähnlichkeit mit einer Satire auf Napoleon III des französischen Anwalts Maurice Joly demonstrierten, die 1864 veröffentlicht wurde und den Titel Dialogue aux enfers entre Machiavel et Montesquieu („Dialog in der Hölle zwischen Machiavelli und Montesquieu“). Nachfolgende Untersuchungen, insbesondere des russischen Historikers Vladimir Burtsev, ergaben, dass die Protocols were forgeries compounded by officials of the Russian secret police out of the satire of Joly, a fantastic novel (Biarritz) by Hermann Goedsche (1868), and other sources.

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica This article was most recently revised and updated by Amy Tikkanen, Corrections Manager.


Ballard II DD- 267 - History

To: Task Force 67

We believe the enemy has undoubtedly suffered a crushing defeat. We thank Admiral Kinkaid for his intervention yesterday. We thank Lee for his sturdy effort last night. Our own aircraft has been grand in its relentless hammering of the foe. All those efforts are appreciated but our greatest homage goes to Callaghan, Scott and their men who with magnificent courage against seemingly hopeless odds drove back the first hostile attack and paved the way for the success to follow. To them the men of Cactus lift their battered helmets in deepest admiration.

ALEXANDER A. VANDEGRIFT
General, U.S Marines

Following training operations off the West Coast, she was sent to the South Pacific to take part in the Guadalcanal operation, arriving in late August.

Replacing Farenholt (flagship of Capt. Robert G. Tobin, ComDesRon 12), Aaron Ward und Buchanan in the screen of Wasp (CV 7) after the Battle of the Eastern Solomons, Laffey, with Duncan, Lansdowne and cruisers Helena und Salt Lake City, collectively rescued 1,946 survivors (see photo above) on 15 September, when Wasp was torpedoed by the Japanese submarine I-19.

Laffey&rsquos casualties at the Battle of Guadalcanal.

Source: Bureau of Personnel casualty report, NARA .

Two night gun-and-torpedo battles off Guadalcanal highlighted the remainder of Laffey&rsquos short career. On 11&ndash12 October, at the Battle of Cape Esperance, she was third in line following DesRon 12 destroyers Farenholt (flag) and Duncan, leading cruisers San Francisco (flagship of Rear Admiral Norman Scott, CTG 64.2), Boise, Salt Lake City und Helena and rear DDs Buchanan und McCalla in turning back a Japanese bombardment group during action in which Duncan was lost.

IN TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO FOUGHT IN THE BATTLE OF GUADALCANAL
NOVEMBER 13&ndash15, 1942

To the superb officers and men on the sea, on land, in the air, and under the seas who in the past five days have performed such magnificent feats for our country. You have won the undying gratitude of your country and have written our names in golden letters on the pages of history. No honor for you could be too great, my pride in you is beyond expression. Magnificently done. May God bless each and every one of you. To the glorious dead, hail heroes&mdashmay you all rest with God.

WILLIAM F. HALSEY
Admiral, U.S. Navy

A month later, in the early hours of 13 November, she participated in the opening of the First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. Second in line behind 1,500-tonner Cushing and ahead of Sterett und O&rsquoBannon in the van of Rear Admiral Daniel J. Callahan&rsquos 13-ship Task Group 67.4, she engaged Japanese battleships Hiei und Kirishima before sustaining a torpedo hit in the stern from destroyer Teruzuki. Her after magazines detonated shortly thereafter and she sank with a loss of 59 officers and men killed and 116 wounded. (Aaron Ward, Capt. Tobin&rsquos flagship on this occasion, led the four rear destroyers&mdashDesRon 12&rsquos Barton und Monssen, both of which were also lost in this action, and the 2,100-ton Fletcher, which emerged undamaged. Laffey, Sterett und O&rsquoBannon all received the Presidential Unit Citation for this action, as did Rear Admiral Scott&rsquos flagship Atlanta and Admiral Callaghan&rsquos flagship San Francisco.)

In 1992, a National Geographic expedition led by Dr. Robert Ballard discovered Laffey&rsquos remains at a depth of nearly a half-mile off Guadalcanal. As reported in the video and book The Lost Fleet of Guadalcanal, Laffey is upright and largely intact from the bow to amidships, but her after third has disappeared. Both forward 5-inch guns are trained out to port, and her midships superstructure is holed by a 14-inch projectile from a Japanese battleship.

In April 2006, cruise ship Clipper Odyssey hove to over the position of Laffey&rsquos remains. Mrs. Cary Webb Sears, daughter of LCdr. Hank, addressed the passengers and crew before leading a wreath ceremony.

In addition to her Presidential Unit Citation, Laffey earned three service stars on her Asiatic-Pacific Service Ribbon for participating in the following operations:


U.S. Naval Training Center Boot Camp Collections

The GG Archives houses a collection of Navy Boot Camp (USNTC) graduation books from four navy boot camp locations.

San Diego: Boot Camp San Diego was used from 1923-1997 and is now the site of Liberty Station. The base, located at the northern end of San Diego Bay trained tens of thousands of sailors. The site was also used as a location for a number of movies including Top Gun.

Great Lakes: Currently the only remaining Naval Training Center located in Waukegan, just north of Chicago. The original building dates from 1905. This station along with San Diego comprises the bulk of our collection of NTC yearbooks.

Orlando: Originally an Army Air Base, it was transferred to the Navy in 1968 when it became the Naval Training Center Orlando. This Naval boot camp was utilized until 1998. It had the distinction of being the only NTC providing training for female Navy recruits.

Bainbridge: Active from 1942 to 1947 and 1951 to 1976. USNTC Bainbridge was located about 35 miles northeast of Baltimore, Maryland. The majority of the recruits who went through boot camp at Bainbridge, about 244 thousand, did so during World War II.

Physical training, inoculation against diseases, and training in first aid, physical hygiene, and related subjects form another major part of the recruit training program. These articles highlight boot camp life, procedures, traditions, and more.

Collection of Navy Boot Camp Yearbooks - The "Compass" with rosters and photographs of recruits at the Naval Training Center at Bainbridge, Maryland. Our collection dates from 1951 through 1956.

Collection of Navy Boot Camp Yearbooks - The "Keel" with rosters and photographs of recruits at the Naval Training Center at Great Lakes, Illinois. Our largest collection of the boot camps encompasses the years 1947-2000.

Small Collection of Navy Boot Camp Yearbooks - The "Rudder" with rosters and photographs of recruits at the Naval Training Center at Orlando, Florida. This collection dates from 1970-1986.

Collection of Navy Boot Camp Yearbooks - The "Anchor" with rosters and photographs of recruits at the Naval Training Center at San Diego, California. One of our larger collections of boot camp books dates from 1955-1991.

Our small but growing collection of group photographs from Naval Training Centers. The photos in this section are large format. Small group photographs can also be found in many of the boot camp books in our collection.

Archive of Requests for Replacement Books or Scanned Copies of Specific Sections of the Boot Camp Graduation Yearbooks for Great Lakes, San Diego, Bainbridge and Orlando Naval Training Centers. We are no longer updating these Pages but will leave them up indefinitely so that those who have inquired can continue to receive leads. Also check our resource guide Finding United States Navy Boot Camp Graduation Books.


Titanic: Before and After

Yet on the night of April 14, 1912, just four days after leaving Southampton, England on its maiden voyage to New York, the Titanic struck an iceberg off the coast of Newfoundland and sank. Now, more than a century after the Titanic went down, experts are still debating possible causes of this historic disaster that took the lives of more than 1,500 passengers and crew. Most of them agree that only a combination of circumstances can fully explain what doomed the supposedly unsinkable ship.

It was traveling too fast.
From the beginning, some blamed the Titanic’s skipper, Captain E.J. Smith, for sailing the massive ship at such a high speed (22 knots) through the iceberg-heavy waters of the North Atlantic. Some believed Smith was trying to better the crossing time of Titanic’s White Star sister ship, the Olympic. But in a 2004 paper, engineer Robert Essenhigh speculated that efforts to control a fire in one of the ship’s coal bunkers could have explained why the Titanic was sailing at full speed.

The wireless radio operator dismissed a key iceberg warning.
Less than an hour before the Titanic hit the iceberg, another nearby ship, the Californian, radioed to say it had been stopped by dense field ice. But as the warning didn’t begin with the prefix “MSG” (Master’s Service Gram), which would have required the captain to directly acknowledge receiving the message, the Titanic’s radio operator Jack Phillips considered the other ship’s warning non-urgent, and didn’t pass it along.

It may have taken a fatal wrong turn.
According to a claim made in 2010 by Louise Patten (the granddaughter of the most senior Titanic officer to survive, Charles Lightoller), one of the ship’s crewmembers panicked after hearing the order to turn “hard-a-starboard” in order to avoid the approaching iceberg. Because ships at the time operated on two different steering order systems, he became confused and turned the wrong way𠅍irectly toward the ice. Patten included this version of events, which she said she heard from her grandmother after Lightoller’s death, in her fictionalized account of the Titanic disaster, Good as Gold.

WATCH: The two-part series Titanic in HISTORY Vault

The Titanic under construction at Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Ireland. (Credit: Ralph White/CORBIS/Corbis via Getty Images)

The Titanic’s builders tried to cut costs.
In 1985, when an American-French expedition finally located the historic wreck, investigators discovered that, contrary to earlier findings, the Titanic had not sunk intact after hitting the iceberg but had broken apart on the ocean’s surface. Materials scientists Tim Foecke and Jennifer Hooper McCarty have cast blame on the more than 3 million rivets that held the hull’s steel plates together. They examined rivets brought up from the wreck and found them to contain a high concentration of “slag,” a smelting residue that can make metal split apart. This may have weakened the part of the Titanic’s hull that hit the iceberg, causing it to break apart upon impact.

Mirages and hazy horizons were created by weather conditions.
Two studies done around the time of the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster in 2012 suggested that nature played a key role in the ship’s fate. The first argued that the Earth came unusually close to both the moon and the sun that year, increasing their gravitational pull on the ocean and producing record tides, which caused increased amounts of floating ice in the North Atlantic around the time of the sinking. 

The second study, by British historian Tim Maltin, claimed that atmospheric conditions on the night of the disaster might have caused a phenomenon called super refraction. This bending of light could have created mirages, or optical illusions, that prevented the Titanic’s lookouts from seeing the iceberg clearly. It also would have made the Titanic appear closer, and smaller, to the nearby ship the Californian, causing its crew to assume it was a different ship without a radio, preventing them from attempting to communicate. From their vantage point, and with these hazy conditions, when the Titanic started to sink, the Californian’s crew would have thought it was merely sailing away.

VIDEO: Titanic Everyone knows the Titanic was big, and we have the hard numbers to prove it. Discover what made it a supersized ship.

The lookouts had no binoculars.
Second officer David Blair, who held the key to the Titanic’s store of binoculars in his pocket, was transferred off the ship before it left for its maiden voyage from Southampton, and forgot to hand over the key to the officer who replaced him. At a later inquiry into the sinking, a lookout on the Titanic said binoculars might have helped them spot and dodge the iceberg in time. Blair kept the key as a memento of his near-miss it was auctioned off in 2007 and fetched some ꎐ,000.

There weren’t enough lifeboats.
No matter what caused the Titanic to sink, such a massive loss of life could probably have been avoided if the ship had carried sufficient lifeboats for its passengers and crew. But the White Star liner left Southampton with only 20 lifeboats, the legal minimum, with a total capacity of 1,178 people. Though Maurice Clarke, the civil servant who inspected the Titanic in Southampton, recommended it carry 50 percent more lifeboats, his handwritten notes at the time later revealed that he felt his job would be threatened if he did not give the famous ship the go-ahead to sail. Due to the chaos that ensued after the Titanic struck an iceberg, the 20 lifeboats departed the ship with some 400 empty seats, leaving more than 1,500 people to perish in the frigid ocean waters.


Ballard II DD- 267 - History

By Dorothy Schwieder, professor of history, Iowa State University

Marquette and Joliet Find Iowa Lush and Green

In the summer of 1673, French explorers Louis Joliet and Father Jacques Marquette traveled down the Mississippi River past the land that was to become the state of Iowa. The two explorers, along with their five crewmen, stepped ashore near where the Iowa river flowed into the Mississippi. It is believed that the 1673 voyage marked the first time that white people visited the region of Iowa. After surveying the surrounding area, the Frenchmen recorded in their journals that Iowa appeared lush, green, and fertile. For the next 300 years, thousands of white settlers would agree with these early visitors: Iowa was indeed lush and green moreover, its soil was highly productive. In fact, much of the history of the Hawkeye State is inseparably intertwined with its agricultural productivity. Iowa stands today as one of the leading agricultural states in the nation, a fact foreshadowed by the observation of the early French explorers.

Before 1673, however, the region had long been home to many Native Americans. Approximately 17 different Indian tribes had resided here at various times including the Ioway, Sauk, Mesquaki, Sioux, Potawatomi, Oto, and Missouri. The Potawatomi, Oto, and Missouri Indians had sold their land to the federal government by 1830 while the Sauk and Mesquaki remained in the Iowa region until 1845. The Santee Band of the Sioux was the last to negotiate a treaty with the federal government in 1851.

The Sauk and Mesquaki constituted the largest and most powerful tribes in the Upper Mississippi Valley. They had earlier moved from the Michigan region into Wisconsin and by the 1730s, they had relocated in western Illinois. There they established their villages along the Rock and Mississippi Rivers. They lived in their main villages only for a few months each year. At other times, they traveled throughout western Illinois and eastern Iowa hunting, fishing, and gathering food and materials with which to make domestic articles. Every spring, the two tribes traveled northward into Minnesota where they tapped maple trees and made syrup.

In 1829, the federal government informed the two tribes that they must leave their villages in western Illinois and move across the Mississippi River into the Iowa region. The federal government claimed ownership of the Illinois land as a result of the Treaty of 1804. The move was made but not without violence. Chief Black hawk, a highly-respected Sauk leader, protested the move and in 1832 returned to reclaim the Illinois village of Saukenauk. For the next three months, the Illinois militia pursued Black Hawk and his band of approximately 400 Indians northward along the eastern side of the Mississippi River. The Indians surrendered at the Bad Axe River in Wisconsin, their numbers having dwindled to about 200. This encounter is known as the Black Hawk War. As punishment for their resistance, the federal government required the Sauk and Mesquaki to relinquish some of their land in eastern Iowa. This land, known as the Black Hawk Purchase, constituted a strip 50 miles wide lying along the Mississippi River, stretching from the Missouri border to approximately Fayette and Clayton Counties in Northeastern Iowa.

Today, Iowa is still home to one Indian group, the Mesquaki, who reside on the Mesquaki Settlement in Tama County. After most Sauk and Mesquaki members had been removed from the state, some Mesquaki tribal members, along with a few Sauk, returned to hunt and fish in eastern Iowa. The Indians then approached Governor James Grimes with the request that they be allowed to purchase back some of their original land. They collected $735 for their first land purchase and eventually they bought back approximately 3,200 acres.

Iowa's First White Settlers

The first official white settlement in Iowa began in June 1833, in the Black Hawk Purchase. Most of Iowa's first white settlers came from Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Kentucky, and Virginia. The great majority of newcomers came in family units. Most families had resided in at least one additional state between the time they left their state of birth and the time they arrived in Iowa. Sometimes families had relocated three or four times before they reached Iowa. At the same time, not all settlers remained here many soon moved on to the Dakotas or other areas in the Great Plains.

Iowa's earliest white settlers soon discovered an environment different from that which they had known back East. Most northeastern and southeastern states were heavily timbered settlers there had material for building homes, outbuildings, and fences. Moreover, wood also provided ample fuel. Once past the extreme eastern portion of Iowa, settlers quickly discovered that the state was primarily a prairie or tall grass region. Trees grew abundantly in the extreme eastern and southeastern portions, and along rivers and streams, but elsewhere timber was limited.

In most portions of eastern and central Iowa, settlers could find sufficient timber for construction of log cabins, but substitute materials had to be found for fuel and fencing. For fuel, they turned to dried prairie hay, corn cobs, and dried animal droppings. In southern Iowa, early settlers found coal outcroppings along rivers and streams. People moving into northwest Iowa, an area also devoid of trees, constructed sod houses. Some of the early sod house residents wrote in glowing terms about their new quarters, insisting that "soddies" were not only cheap to build but were warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Settlers experimented endlessly with substitute fencing materials. Some residents built stone fences some constructed dirt ridges others dug ditches. The most successful fencing material was the osage orange hedge until the 1870s when the invention of barbed wire provided farmers with satisfactory fencing material.

Early settlers recognized other disadvantages of prairie living. Many people complained that the prairie looked bleak and desolate. One woman, newly arrived from New York State, told her husband that she thought she would die without any trees. Emigrants from Europe, particularly the Scandinavian countries, reacted in similar fashion. These newcomers also discovered that the prairies held another disadvantage - one that could be deadly. Prairie fires were common in the tall grass country, often occurring yearly. Diaries of pioneer families provide dramatic accounts of the reactions of early Iowans to prairie fires, often a mixture of fear and awe. When a prairie fire approached, all family members were called out to help keep the flames away. One nineteenth century Iowan wrote that in the fall, people slept "with one eye open" until the first snow fell, indicating that the threat of fire had passed.

Pioneer families faced additional hardships in their early years in Iowa. Constructing a farmstead was hard work in itself. Families not only had to build their homes, but often they had to construct the furniture used. Newcomers were often lonely for friends and relatives. Pioneers frequently contracted communicable diseases such as scarlet fever. Fever and ague, which consisted of alternating fevers and chills, was a constant complaint. Later generations would learn that fever and ague was a form of malaria, but pioneers thought that it was caused by gas emitted from the newly turned sod. Moreover, pioneers had few ways to relieve even common colds or toothaches.

Early life on the Iowa prairie was sometimes made more difficult by the death of family members. Some pioneer women wrote of the heartache caused by the death of a child. One women, Kitturah Belknap, had lost one baby to lung fever. When a second child died, she confided in her diary:

"I have had to pass thru another season of sorrow. Death has again entered our home. This time it claimed our dear little John for its victim. It was hard for me to give him up but dropsy on the brain ended its work in four short days. We are left again with one baby and I feel that my health is giving way."

But for the pioneers who remained on the land 1, and most did, the rewards were substantial. These early settlers soon discovered that prairie land, although requiring some adjustments, was some of the richest land to be found anywhere in the world. Moreover, by the late 1860s, most of the state had been settled and the isolation and loneliness associated with pioneer living had quickly vanished.

Transportation: Railroad Fever

As thousands of settlers poured into Iowa in the mid-1800s, all shared a common concern for the development of adequate transportation. The earliest settlers shipped their agricultural goods down the Mississippi River to New Orleans, but by the 1850s, Iowans had caught the nation's railroad fever. The nation's first railroad had been built near Baltimore in 1831, and by 1860, Chicago was served by almost a dozen lines. Iowans, like other Midwesterners, were anxious to start railroad building in their state.

In the early 1850s, city officials in the river communities of Dubuque, Clinton, Davenport, and Burlington began to organize local railroad companies. City officials knew that railroads building west from Chicago would soon reach the Mississippi River opposite the four Iowa cities. With the 1850s, railroad planning took place which eventually resulted in the development of the Illinois Central, the Chicago and North Western, reaching Council Bluffs in 1867. Council Bluffs had been designated as the eastern terminus for the Union Pacific, the railroad that would eventually extend across the western half of the nation and along with the Central Pacific, provide the nation's first transcontinental railroad. A short time later a fifth railroad, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, and Pacific, also completed its line across the state.

The completion of five railroads across Iowa brought major economic changes. Of primary importance, Iowans could travel every month of the year. During the latter ninetieth and early twentieth centuries, even small Iowa towns had six passenger trains a day. Steamboats and stagecoaches had previously provided transportation, but both were highly dependent on the weather, and steam boats could not travel at all once the rivers had frozen over. Railroads also provided year-round transportation for Iowa's farmers. With Chicago's pre-eminence as a railroad center, the corn, wheat, beef, and pork raised by Iowa's farmers could be shipped through Chicago, across the nation to eastern seaports, and from there, anywhere in the world.

Railroads also brought major changes in Iowa's industrial sector. Before 1870, Iowa contained some manufacturing firms in the eastern portion of the state, particularly all made possible by year-around railroad transportation. Many of the new industries were related to agriculture. In Cedar Rapid, John and Robert Stuart, along with their cousin, George Douglas, started an oats processing plant. In time, this firm took the name Quaker Oats. Meat packing plants also appeared in the 1870s in different parts of the state: Sinclair Meat Packing opened in Cedar Rapids and John Morrell and Company set up operations in Ottumwa.

As Iowa's population and economy continued to grow, education and religious institutions also began to take shape. Americans had long considered education important and Iowans did not deviate from that belief. Early in any neighborhood, residents began to organize schools. The first step was to set up township elementary schools, aided financially by the sale or lease of section 16 in each of the state's many townships. The first high school was established in the 1850s, but in general, high schools did not become widespread until after 1900. Private and public colleges also soon appeared. By 1900, the Congregationalists had established Grinnell College. The Catholics and Methodists were most visible in private higher education, however. As of 1900, they had each created five colleges: Iowa Wesleyan, Simpson, Cornell, Morningside, and Upper Iowa University by the Methodists and Marycrest, St. Ambrose, Briar Cliff, Loras, and Clarke by the Catholics. Other church colleges present in Iowa by 1900 were Coe and Dubuque (Presbyterian) Wartburg and Luther (Lutheran) Central (Baptist) and Drake (Disciples of Christ).

The establishment of private colleges coincided with the establishment of state educational institutions. In the mid-1800s, state officials organized three state institutions of higher learning, each with a different mission. The University of Iowa, established in 1855, was to provide classical and professional education for Iowa's young people Iowa State College of Science and Technology (now Iowa State University), established in 1858 was to offer agricultural and technical training. Iowa State Teachers' College (now University of Northern Iowa), founded in 1876 was to train teachers for the state's public schools.

Iowans were also quick to organize churches. Beginning in the 1840s, the Methodist Church sent out circuit riders to travel throughout the settled portion of the state. Each circuit rider typically had a two-week circuit in which he visited individual families and conducted sermons for local Methodist congregations. Because the circuit riders' sermons tended to be emotional and simply stated, Iowa's frontiers-people could readily identify with them. The Methodists profited greatly from their "floating ministry," attracting hundreds of converts in Iowa's early years. As more settled communities appeared, the Methodist Church assigned ministers to these stationary charges.

Catholics also moved into Iowa soon after white settlement began. Dubuque served as the center for Iowa Catholicism as Catholics established their first diocese in that city. The leading Catholic figure was Bishop Mathias Loras, a Frenchman, who came to Dubuque in the late 1830s. Bishop Loras helped establish Catholic churches in the area and worked hard to attract priests and nuns from foreign countries. Before the Civil War, most of Iowa's Catholic clergy were from France, Ireland, and Germany. After the Civil War, more and more of that group tended to be native-born. Bishop Loras also helped establish two Catholic educational institutions in Dubuque, Clarke College and Loras College.

Congregationalists were the third group to play an important role in Iowa before the Civil War. The first group of Congregationalist ministers here were known as the Iowa Band. This was a group of 11 ministers, all trained at Andover Theological Seminary, who agreed to carry the gospel into a frontier region. The group arrived in 1843, and each minister selected a different town in which to establish a congregation. The Iowa Band's motto was "each a church all a college." After a number of years when each minister worked independently, the ministers collectively helped to establish Iowa College in Davenport. Later church officials move the college to Grinnell and changed its name to Grinnell College. The letters and journal of William Salter, a member of the Iowa Band, depict the commitment and philosophy of this small group. At one point, Salter wrote the following to his fiancee back East:
"I shall aim to show that the West will be just what others make it, and that they which work the hardest and do the most for it shall have it. Prayer and pain will save the West and the Country is worth it. " 2

Throughout the nineteenth century, many other denominations also established churches within the state. Quakers established meeting houses in the communities of West Branch, Springdale, and Salem. Presbyterians were also well represented in Iowa communities. Baptists often followed the practice of hiring local farmers to preach on Sunday mornings. And as early as the 1840s, Mennonite Churches began to appear in eastern Iowa. The work of the different denominations meant that during the first three decades of settlement, Iowans had quickly established their basic religious institutions.

By 1860, Iowa had achieved statehood (December 28, 1846), and the state continued to attract many settlers, both native and foreign-born. Only the extreme northwestern part of the state remained a frontier area. But after almost 30 years of peaceful development, Iowans found their lives greatly altered with the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861. While Iowans had no battles fought on their soil, the state paid dearly through the contributions of its fighting men. Iowa males responded enthusiastically to the call for Union volunteers and more than 75,000 Iowa men served with distinction in campaigns fought in the East and in the South. Of that number, 13,001 died in the war, many of disease rather than from battle wounds. Some men died in the Confederate prison camps, particularly Andersonville, Georgia. A total of 8,500 Iowa men were wounded.

Many Iowans served with distinction in the Union Army. Probably the best known was Grenville Dodge, who became a general during the war. Dodge fulfilled two important functions: he supervised the rebuilding of many southern railroad lines to enable Union troops to move more quickly through the South and he directed the counter intelligence operation for the union Army, locating Northern sympathizers in the South who, in turn, would relay information on Southern troop movements and military plans to military men in the North.

Another Iowan, Cyrus Carpenter, was 31 years old when he entered the army in 1861. Living in Ft. Dodge, Carpenter requested a commission from the army rather than enlisting. He was given the rank of captain and was installed as quartermaster. Carpenter had never served in that capacity before, but with the aid of an army clerk, he proceeded to carry out his duties. Most of the time, Carpenter was responsible for feeding 40,000 men. Not only was it difficult to have sufficient food for the men, but Carpenter constantly had to keep his supplies and staff on the move. Carpenter found it an immensely frustrating task, but most of the time, he managed to have the food and other necessities at the right place at the right time.

Iowa women also served their nation during the war. Hundreds of women knitted sweaters, sewed uniforms, rolled bandages, and collected money for military supplies. Women formed soldiers' relief societies throughout the state. Annie Wittenmyer particularly distinguished herself through volunteer work. She spent much time during the war raising money and needed supplies for Iowa soldiers. At one point, Mrs. Wittenmyer visited her brother in a Union army hospital. She objected to the food served to the patients, contending that no one could get well on greasy bacon and cold coffee. She suggested to hospital authorities that they establish diet kitchens so that the patients would receive proper nutrition. Eventually, some diet kitchens were established in military hospitals. Mrs. Wittenmyer also was responsible for the establishment of several homes for soldiers' orphans.

The Civil War era brought considerable change to Iowa and perhaps one of the most visible changes came in the political arena. During the 1840's, most Iowans voted Democratic although the state also contained some Whigs. Iowa's first two United States Senators were Democrats as were most state officials. During the 1850s, however, the state's Democratic Party developed serious internal problems as well as being unsuccessful in getting the national Democratic Party to respond to their needs. Iowans soon turned to the newly emerging Republican Party the political career of James Grimes illustrates this change. In 1854, Iowans elected Grimes governor on the Whig ticket. Two years later, Iowans elected Grimes governor on the Republican ticket. Grimes would later serve as a Republican United States Senator from Iowa. Republicans took over state politics in the 1850s and quickly instigated several changes. They moved the state capital from Iowa City to Des Moines, they established the University of Iowa and they wrote a new state constitution. From the late 1850s until well into the twentieth century, Iowans remained strongly Republican. Iowans sent many highly capable Republicans to Washington, particularly William Boyd Allison of Dubuque, Jonathan P. Dolliver of Ft. Dodge, and Albert Baird Cummins of Des Moines. These men served their state and their nation with distinction.

Another political issue facing Iowans in the 1860s was the issue of women's suffrage. From the 1860s on, Iowa contained a large number of women, and some men, who strongly supported the measure and who worked endlessly for its adoption. In keeping with the general reform mood of the latter 1860s and 1870s, the issue first received serious consideration when both houses of the General Assembly passed a women's suffrage amendment in 1870. Two years later, however, when the legislature had to consider the amendment again before it could be submitted to the general electorate, interest had waned, opposition had developed, and the amendment was defeated.

For the next 47 years, Iowa women worked continually to secure passage of a women's suffrage amendment to Iowa's state constitution. During that time, the issue was considered in almost every session of the state legislature, but an amendment was offered (having passed both houses of the state legislature in two consecutive sessions) to the general electorate only once, in 1916. In that election, voters defeated the amendment by about 10,000 votes.

The arguments against women's suffrage ranged from the charge that women were not interested in the vote to the charge that women's suffrage would bring the downfall of the family and would cause delinquency in children. Regarding the defeat of the 1916 state referendum on the female vote, Iowa-born Carrie Chapman Catt, a leader for the women's suffrage cause, argued that the liquor interests in the state should accept responsibility as they had worked hard to defeat the measure. During the long campaign to secure the vote, however, the women themselves were not always in agreement as to the best approach to secure a victory. Catt herself led the final victorious assault in 1918 and 1919 in Washington with her "winning plan." This called for women to work for both state (state constitutions) and national (national constitution) amendments. Finally, in 1920, after both houses of the United States Congress passed the measure and it had been approved by the proper number of states, woman's suffrage became a reality for American women everywhere.

Iowa: Home for Immigrants
While Iowans were debating the issues of women's suffrage in the post Civil War period, the state itself was attracting many more people. Following the Civil War, Iowa's population continued to grow dramatically, from 674,913 people in 1860 to 1,194,020 in 1870. Moreover, the ethnic composition of Iowa's population also changed substantially. Before the Civil War, Iowa had attracted some foreign-born settlers, but the number remained small. After the Civil War, the number of immigrants increased. In 1869, the state encouraged immigration by printing a 96-page booklet entitled Iowa : The Home of Immigrants . The publication gave physical, social, educational, and political descriptions of Iowa. The legislature instructed that the booklet be published in English, German, Dutch, Swedish, and Danish.

Iowans were not alone in their efforts to attract more northern and western Europeans. Throughout the nation, Americans regarded these new comers as "good stock" and welcomed them enthusiastically. Most immigrants from these countries came in family units. Germans constituted the largest group, settling in every county within the state. The great majority became farmers, but many also became craftsmen and shopkeepers. Moreover, many German-Americans edited newspapers, taught school, and headed banking establishments. In Iowa, Germans exhibited the greatest diversity in occupations, religion, and geographical settlement.

The Marx Goettsch family of Davenport serves well as an example of German immigrants. At the time of his emigration in 1871, Goettsch was 24 years old, married and the father of a young son. During a two-year term in the German Army, Goettsch had learned the trade of shoemaking. Goettsch and his family chose to settle in Davenport, among Germans from the Schleswig-Holstein area. By working hard as a shoemaker, Goettsch managed not only to purchase a building for his home and shop, but also to purchased five additional town lots. Later, Goettsch had homes built on the lots which he rented out. He had then become both a small business man and a landlord.

During the next 25 years, Goettsch and his wife, Anna, raised six children and enjoyed considerable prosperity. For Marx and Anna, life in America, surrounded by fellow German-Americans, did not differ greatly from life in the old country. For their children, however, life was quite different. The lives of the Goettsch children - or the second generation - best illustrate the social and economic opportunities available to immigrants in the United States. If the family had remained in Germany, probably all five sons would have followed their father's occupation of shoemaker. In the United States, all five pursued higher education. Two sons received Ph.D.s, two sons received M.D.s, and one son became a professional engineer. With the third generation, education was also a crucial factor. Of seven grandchildren, all became professionals. Moreover, five of the seven were female. As the Goettsch experience indicates, opportunities abounded for immigrants settling in Iowa in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The newcomers and their children could take up land, go into business, or pursue higher education. For most immigrants, these areas offered a better, more prosperous life than their parents had known in the old country.

Iowa also attracted many other people from Europe, including Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, Hollanders, and many emigrants from the British Isles as shown by the following table. After 1900, people also emigrated from southern and eastern Europe. In many instances, immigrant groups were identified with particular occupations. The Scandinavians, including Norwegians, who settled in Winneshiek and Story Counties Swedes, who settled in Boone County and Danes, who settled in southwestern Iowa were largely associated with farming. Many Swedes also became coal miners. The Hollanders made two major settlements in Iowa, the first in Marion County, and the second in northwest Iowa.

Proportionately far more southern and eastern immigrants, particularly Italians and Croatians, went into coal mining than did western and northern Europeans. Arriving in Iowa with little money and few skills, these groups gravitated toward work that required little or no training and provided them with immediate employment. In Iowa around the turn of the century, that work happened to be coal mining.


蘭利號航空母艦 (CV-1)

到美國參加第一次世界大戰之前,朱比特號成為美國大西洋艦隊輔助艦戰隊的一員,巡弋於大西洋與墨西哥灣之間。1917年4月,該艦改隸於海軍火砲試驗基地(Naval Ordnance Test Station),並曾在1917年6月與1918年9月搭載部隊前往法國。休戰後,該艦前往歐洲海域擔任供煤的任務,以服務運送部隊返美的海軍艦隻。美國海軍於1919年7月11日決定將朱比特號改裝為航空母艦,於是該艦於1919年12月12日航抵維吉尼亞州的漢普頓錨地,並於1920年3月24日除役。

朱比特號於1920年4月11日更名為蘭利號,以榮耀美國航空先驅,物理與天文學家,同時也是萊特兄弟的競爭者塞繆爾·蘭利博士 [2] 。該艦同時被賦與一個新編號,即CV-1。蘭利號的改裝工程在諾福克港進行,1922年3月20日蘭利號重新服役,由肯尼斯·懷汀(Kenneth Whiting)中校任首任艦長。1922年10月17日,維吉爾·葛瑞芬(Virgil C. Griffin)上尉駕駛一架沃特 VE-7SF ( 英语 : Vought VE-7 ) 戰鬥機,第一次從艦上起飛。這次的起飛是美國海軍正式進入空權時代的重要事件。9天後,也就是10月26日, 戈弗雷·薛弗萊 ( 英语 : Godfrey Chevalier ) 少校駕駛一架 艾爾馬林39B型水上飛機 ( 英语 : Aeromarine 39 ) 首次降落在蘭利號的甲板。11月18日,懷汀中校駕駛一架PT水上飛機首次從航空母艦上彈射起飛。 [3]

日本偷襲珍珠港時,蘭利號正泊碇在菲律賓的甲米地。日軍進攻菲律賓時,蘭利號先撤退至荷屬東印度的巴厘巴板港,再撤到澳洲的達爾文港,並成為美国-英国-荷兰-澳大利亚司令部的海上武力之一。蘭利號先協助澳洲皇家空軍的反潛巡邏任務,之後前往西澳的費利曼圖港,搭載33名陸軍航空隊飛行員,與32架已組裝完成,屬於第49驅逐大隊的P-40战斗机,2月22日出發前往爪哇島的芝拉扎港(Tjilatjap)。另一艘貨輪 海洋女巫號 ( 英语 : MS Sea Witch (1940) ) 則搭載其它27架未組裝的P-40战斗机,跟蘭利號一同出發。 [4]

本来蘭利號收到的命令是在2月28日清晨進入港口,這樣可以在夜色的掩護下前進,並避開日本飛機的可能的攻擊。但由於日本的攻擊部隊已經接近爪哇,於是ABDA的海軍指揮官,也是爪哇地區的指揮官,荷蘭籍海軍中將康拉德·赫爾弗里希於2月23日要求蘭利號盡速將飛機運抵芝拉扎港。但由於燃料問題使得蘭利號的航速只有10節,加上通讯出现問題,讓蘭利號在27日凌晨改變方向去與護航船隻會合,使得蘭利號需要在27日的白天駛進爪哇港。27日上午9:00左右被日機發現,蘭利號艦長羅伯特·麥克康奈爾(Robert P. McConnell)中校曾提出空中掩護的要求,但並無回音。中午11:40,在離芝拉扎港南方120公里處,蘭利號遭到9架一式陸攻機的攻擊,它被擊中五次以及兩個近接彈,造成16人陣亡,並引發大火。由於火勢蔓延及兰利号进水並傾斜了10度,由於動力系統泡水停擺且吃水過深,蘭利號被判斷無法抵達爪哇芝扎拉港,蘭利號在下午13:32分發出棄船命令,為了避免其落入日本海軍手中,護航的兩艘驅逐艦把乘員救起後,一共以九發4英寸炮彈與兩枚魚雷將蘭利號擊沉 [5] 。


Schau das Video: Рок-энциклопедия. Police. История группы


Bemerkungen:

  1. Ruelle

    Vielleicht stimme ich Ihrem Satz zu

  2. Watelford

    Entschuldigung für die Einmischung, aber ich brauche weitere Informationen.

  3. Everard

    Nur Klasse! Ich habe es nicht einmal erwartet. Ich dachte, es wäre schlimmer ...

  4. Shara

    Was für eine lustige Antwort

  5. Tzefanyahu

    Du liegst falsch. Ich kann es beweisen.Schreiben Sie mir in PM, wir werden diskutieren.



Eine Nachricht schreiben